My very inexpensive coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lilbirdee, Apr 7, 2009.

1. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I wanted to share my coop.
    I have this room that is built onto my barn. It's sectioned into 2 parts, so it's really 2 rooms. Used as a tack room by the people that lived here before us who had horses. We have alpacas, so I've been using it as a vet room. Medical supplies, the alpaca scale etc. I actually only used 1 of the rooms.
    It's got a good roof, insulated walls, tile floor, Lights, electrical outlets, & windows. There is a door that enters from my yard and another that goes into the barn. I decided to just frame in a section and add a gate. The one window is now the chicken door to their run. The run is just until they get older. Then I'll open the gate and they can have access to the alpaca areas.
    I had very little materials, and even less money to spend on a coop so I had to use what ever I could find on the property. The only thing I bought was the chicken wire.
    The brooder box started out in this area and then I just cut the side out and let them gradually have the whole pen. When it got really cold at night I put a little radiant heater in the room and kept it nice & toasty.
    I have a 2nd batch of chicks coming tomorrow and I'll do the same in the adjoining area and eventually combine the 2 areas. I can change things around very easily as the chicks get bigger. There are still a lot of things I want to do to it. Add permanent roosts, the nesting boxes, a ledge or shelf on either side of the window, and may change the ramp setup.
    What I love the most is that I have set up some camping chairs inside the room, but outside the fenced in part, and I can sit and watch my girls. I have really enjoyed many hours relaxing and watching the chicks grow into chickens. I have been able to see what works and what doesn't and gotten to know their different personalities and behaviors.
    I don't think many people get the chance to hang out in their coops.

The Coop
    [​IMG]
    Brooders awaiting
    [​IMG]
    The Run
    [​IMG]

Any suggestions about what else I could do to make it better would be appreciated.

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Only thing I can see that I would do would be add some kind of netting to the top of the run to protect from preditors that fly. Very nice!!!

3. Chic's Chickens

Chic's Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    Have you thought of upper pretator protection for the run?

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    WOW! you walk into Great setup! [​IMG]

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Ditto [​IMG]

6. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Nice [​IMG]

7. sweetie54

sweetie54 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    i have chicken wire for a roof also because sometimes red tail hawks try to get them!!!!!!! I've chased a few off already!!!!

8. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Yes I thought about the netting for the top. We do have Red Tails here.
    But how long do I need to keep it covered? I plan to open the little gate to the run and let them into the wide open. Should I wait until they are full grown to do that? And what age is full grown? I'm guessing when they start laying around 20 weeks?
    I'm hoping that being around the alpacas will discourage the hawks from coming to that area.

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Very nice coop and run. [​IMG]

You might want to put some slats on outside ramp for traction when it wet.

10. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Nice job and your chickens will be happy campers.

Here is what I would do if it where mine. I would get rid of the ramp on the inside and either put nothing there as it looks like is only a couple feet from the floor and the chickens can handle that with ease or put a box in front of the window for them to hop up on then out. My reasoning is it will give the chickens more floor space and will keep you from knocking your shin bones as you move around the coop (I'm clumsy so I look for these hazards) and you won't have to deal with it when you clean.

I would put curtain backets on either side of the non exit window and place my roost level with the window sill, that way the girls can watch the sunset and sunrise. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by