1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My very mixed flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by clintwilson59, Jul 16, 2011.

1. clintwilson59

clintwilson59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    Hey everyone, i just wanted to check in 'cause i havent been here in a while. Thanks to possums, most of my flock from last year is gone but between the shot gun and my traps i have relocated 20 + possums to little critter heaven. Now after getting an incubator and buying every bird for sell off of craigslist, I now have around 30 - 40 chickens (oegb, bantam cochin, silkies, americaunas, and this, that and the other),6 ducks ( mallard pair, khaki campbell pair, a pekin,and a woody), 3 quail(trio of cortunix), 3 turkeys (a bourbon jakeand 2 mixes), quail eggs in the bator (bobwhites) and 3 duck eggs that accidently fell under a broody silkie;).
    Forget chicken math, i've got a case of poultry math. I think i have a pretty good collection, not bad for a teenager exspecailly since i pay for all of their exspences my self.

Just wanted to brag a little bit and say hey guys![​IMG]

2. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    You sound like me! [​IMG]

That is what my place would be like if my DH wouldn't kill me for bringing all those birds home. He doesn't understand chicken math. [​IMG]

3. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    We are at max capacity right now thanks to poultry math and the fact that we keep 'rescuing' chickens. We are urban backyard chicken owners and planned on 4. Then we were going to get 2 more but one chick didn't make it (at the breeders). So we ended up taking 2 from an egg hatching project (friend of a friend). Then a neighbor had 1 chick that they raised and were keeping in a cardboard box. Then a co-worker of my husband's moved and needed to re-home some hens. Enter 2 more. We are now up to 10 and if we get one more our back yard will explode. Aaaagh!!

4. clintwilson59

clintwilson59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    Well last summer I was going to get 2 silkies to hatch a FEW eggs for me, and well Idk what happened next [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by