My vicious broody chicken

ChickenKiera

Songster
Oct 17, 2019
hi, I have a chicken (Pearl) who has hatched 3 chicks which are about 5 weeks old, when Pearl was sitting on the eggs she would peck my hand whenever I went near her (she was never like that before) and then when they hatched, she pecked my leg and attacked me whenever I went near her, still to this day she attacks me and now I am scared of her, is there any way I can get her to not attack me and be friendly again? Thankyou anyone who helps me ☺️☺️☺️☺️

Yes, you can discipline this cheeky girl with a swift peck with your finger on her back each time she pecks you. Keep at it, even if you have to peck her successive times in a row following each peck she gives you.

You need to demonstrate to her that her behavior is unacceptable, and this is how a dominant chicken does it.

if she is still mothering the chicks, she is just being a very protective mother hen. it is natural and in my opinion, a good mothering trait.
if the chicks are weaned and she is back with the flock, i dont know why she is pecking you. are you attempting to pet her or pick her up when this occurs?
if i were to go out in my coop right now and pick up each of my dozen birds, i would expect some resistance and quite a few pecks. Chickens are Prey to almost everything, its natural for them to be scarred and use the one defense nature has given them.
if she is charging across the yard to attack you at first sight, then yes, you have a problem.

now I am scared of her, is there any way I can get her to not attack me and be friendly again
Stop being scared...and peck her back.

Have had a broody be 'trained' to be fine with me touching her during incubation,
that changes once chicks are hatched and she needed to be 're-trained'.

They get their 'broody fierce' going on and everyone better watch out!!
Had a mid ranking girl hatch out and once she figured out how to reign her power,
it appeared she reveled in it. :gig

if she is still mothering the chicks, she is just being a very protective mother hen. it is natural and in my opinion, a good mothering trait.
if the chicks are weaned and she is back with the flock, i dont know why she is pecking you. are you attempting to pet her or pick her up when this occurs?
if i were to go out in my coop right now and pick up each of my dozen birds, i would expect some resistance and quite a few pecks. Chickens are Prey to almost everything, its natural for them to be scarred and use the one defense nature has given them.
if she is charging across the yard to attack you at first sight, then yes, you have a problem.
Hello, she doesn’t attack me at first sight but whenever I let her out of her house, she puffs all out and pecks my leg, I don’t try to stroke her or pick her up, it’s mostly when I go near her. Today I fed her a few grapes by hand to build the trust up with her a bit and she was fine☺️ but she also attacked my leg when I opened the door. I don’t know if I should of mentioned this before but there is another chicken in with her and she was broody as well (but she was a vicious mum to the chicks so I took them away) but she is so friendly to me and never pecks. But thankyou, she might just still be mothering the chicks ☺️☺️☺️☺️

Yes, you can discipline this cheeky girl with a swift peck with your finger on her back each time she pecks you. Keep at it, even if you have to peck her successive times in a row following each peck she gives you.

You need to demonstrate to her that her behavior is unacceptable, and this is how a dominant chicken does it.
Thankyou, I will try that ☺️☺️☺️☺️

Back
Top Bottom