My way-too-small chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickfluff, May 17, 2009.

1. chickfluff

chickfluff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    San Diego
    I built this chicken tractor way before the chickens came. It was meant for three, and I got 4. [​IMG] (couldn't help myself!) Anyway, it's an A-frame as you can see. I have lots of things I would change, but it's ok because I'm going to build a larger coop with a nice size run and hopefully a garden they can munch on. I've been looking all over this site to get some great ideas, and I think I might combine some of the coops people have here. Since my tractor space is so small, my soon-to-be full-grown chickens have a temporary daytime pen that is pretty large. It works pretty well, but it isn't entirely predator proof, which worries me. I have been debating whether I should let them free-range or not, and I think I have decided not, one because I live in the suburbs and they could easily hop the fence, and two, there are lots of redtail hawks in the area, like the one that landed in our tree this morning. Anyway, enough of my babbling. Here's the tractor!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the view from inside the "coop" (just a protected place where the nestboxes are) looking at the roosts at the other end.

Small, but works for now. They're going to move into a palace! (hopefully soon!)

2. chickfluff

chickfluff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    San Diego
    oh, oops, it's not completely finished in the first pic. There isn't any wire on the bottom part!

3. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    looks great - can I use the idea to build one for my newly hatched to hang out in until it is time to (UGH) go in with the big meanies? Not to change the subject but why do chickens have to be so cruel to the newbies and itty bittys??

4. gaduke

gaduke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    S.W. Kentucky
    Very Nice! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by