my week last week, a saga

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by curliet, Nov 3, 2008.

1. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Last week was a rough one. First it was the stupid toilet. Started running slow on sunday and got steadily worse. Called the plumber ontuesday, he didn't call back til thursday. When he did show up, he played around with the darn thing for a while and said, "You need a new toilet". So, after a little while he carried the old thing out the door and dropped it onto the ground next to his van. We could hear something rattling around in there, so we tipped it sideways and looked into the bottom. There was the round beef bone that I had given Lil Spanky last week after I made soup using beef shanks. That bone would never have come out of there, and we aren't sure how it got as far in as it went. NO MORE BONES FOR SPANKY!! We know that she likes to drink from the toilet, and we always keep it clean and flushed for her. She must have gone for a drink and dropped the bone in. Since it was white, we probably didn't see it and just flushed, pushing it in farther. The plumber finished his work about 1 hour before all the kids came for pizza. Thank Goodness, having all the girls here would have been a real problem if we couldn't flush! LOL.

In between there we had that adventure with bringing the chickens home on Wednesday, you all know about that already LOL.

Some of you may remember that we have a place in the woods up north, a big pole Barn. We had a lot of trouble getting permission to build it, and had to get a variance for it from our township. They wanted to make sure that we planned to have a house there as well. We had that in the works, but can't afford it right now. In the meantime, we were using the Barn to store camping and yard gear, hunting gear, etc. Somewhere along the line we opened the camper up and started keeping it right inside the Barn, using it as a 'bedroom'. The idea was to have a place to stay while we built the house, that didn't happen. Anyway, Friday we got a new bed, and so we loaded our old bed into the truck. Early Saturday we headed to the Barn, and after moving almost everything around, we were able to close up the PU and shove it outside. Set up the bed inside, rearranged all the furniture, and hooked the PU up to the truck. We slept in a regular bed last night for the first time in the Barn. Seems strange, but really neat to have all that new space. I do think we'll do some more re-arranging before we get it exactly the way we want it. And, hopefully, first thing in the spring we'll be back on track with the house. This afternoon we brought the camper home, and it's now parked in the driveway, right in the same spot it used to live in before we put it in the Barn.

Our secret chickens here at home are doing everything they can do to make sure that the secret gets out. I've never heard them make this much noise before. Every egg calls for the Dance of Joy to be done at top volume. They are responding to every kid in the neighborhood that makes noise, and every barking dog, and honking car and they had a 1/2 hour long argument the other day with a squirrel in our yard. All of them at once, at the tops of their lungs, bawking, squawking and buk buk bukking! I saw the guy behind us standing on his back porch looking around with a very strange look on his face. It was a "What was that???" kinda look. We're gonna be in so much trouble.

2. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Thanks for sharing LOL love that your neighbor is on the what was that noise wagon LOL. If ya get in trouble at least ya had a great time getting there.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hey T! Just found this thread. Definitely sounds like you are the "winner" in our roughest week contest.
    Hope your chickens get used to the noises in their new enviroment and decide they're not worth making a racket about. You know, the way my chickens have come to realize that Jake is all bark, no bite. And the bone in the toilet? Not funny, yet it is. Sorry.
    So let's start another rough week contest for this week. I'll start. Guess why I now have a baby bird living on my screened porch? Hint: Killer Kitty has something to do with it, as always. K is not going to be amused. :|

4. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    A new bird on your porch?? uh oh!! Sounds to me like something the cat dragged in, right? Our poor guys, what did they think they were signing onto when they hooked up with us? Just a mellow walk in the park, right?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If life with us was predictable, what fun would that be? I figure I'm keeping him entertained and keeping his mind sharp at the same time.
    Now it's off to the pets and other livestock category to figure out what to do with my little visitor. On the bright side, I just checked on my new little friend and he/she looks like they are doing fine. A whole lot quieter than the baby rabbit Kitty drug home last year too!

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Oh dear. Your week sounded like mine. I wont everyone with the drama, but we now have an empty living room and the dining room echos even with my bigg a$$ dining room table in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by