1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Week Old baby duck won't walk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tonisummers, Oct 20, 2016.

1. tonisummers

tonisummers Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2016
    Hello all, so I recently got two baby ducklings from Mcmuarry Hatchery. One a Buff, and the other a Cayuga. The Cayuga passed away after two days, so they're sending me replacements. Well, the buff duckling, Milo, has been super entergetic and full of life and always chirping. He's a blast. But this morning when I woke up, he was chirping lightly in his area, which is kept warm by a heating pad. He suddenly couldn't walk! He was perfectly fine the night before, playing, the whole nine yards. Now, his eyes seems more tired and he keeps wanting to sleep...even though he slept through the night and half the day. He can barely hold his head up accurately, and his wings are more downward and not toward his body at all. He's also not walking. I checked for any apparent injury, and found none. He seems like he's at a discomfort though. I'm just super worried about my little Milo and just want him back to his normal. Sometimes he walks a little but only very short bursts, and he's not as talkative. Please help! I have been feeding him dumor 24% starter, and he's had no problem up until now. He's a little over a week old, so he's still rather small. Could it be some sort of a niacin deficiency? Should I get him save a chik and nutri drench? Thanks so much

2. tonisummers

tonisummers Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2016
    Here's two pictures I just took of him

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

Hello, I am almost sure it is a niacin deficiency, Signs of a niacin deficiency are
    Lack of weight gain
    Reluctance to walk
    Failure to thrive
    And eventually leg development is affected

You can put brewers yeast on the food or you can crush up a 100-150 mg. Niacin tablet per 1 gallon of water until 8 - 10 weeks old

Best wishes to you and your duck, he's adorable by the way :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  4. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

Also, do not get time released niacin tablets and not the yeast you bake with, I will try to send a picture of the yeast I used for my duck

5. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    This is what I used. Just sprinkle some on the food until 8-10 weeks old. It's common at that age to get a niacin deficiency, the food I would change to dumor chick starter/grower
    20% feed

[​IMG]

6. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

This is what I used for my ducks/chickens when they were babies

[​IMG]

7. tonisummers

tonisummers Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2016

Thank you for the feedback, but I put him in warm water as someone from another thread said helped move their legs, now he keeps laying there and chirping with his eyes closed... he opens them and gets up but just barely. I'm so worried about him

8. tonisummers

tonisummers Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2016

My beautiful baby just passed away.

9. PINOAK RIDGE

PINOAK RIDGE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2016
    Tennessee
    So sorry to read this. Words just aren't adequate when a pet is lost. Sending you hugs. [​IMG]

10. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

Broke my heart to read that, I feel your pain [​IMG] im so sorry for your loss. It was not a niacin deficiency then, it was some disease [​IMG] again, I'm so sorry [​IMG] hopefully he passed peacefully. He's with my duck pete now and with another lost duck named blueberry, he's in a better place now.

Just know nothing is your fault. Sending you hugs [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by