My week-old cots seem to still need lots of heat

Discussion in 'Quail' started by QChickieMama, Dec 26, 2011.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    I've been wanting to wean them slowly from the heat lamps, but every time I move the heat away slightly from the brooder, the chicks huddle.

They're 1.5 wks old, and I'm already eager for them to be out of my living room. Phew! It's not all that cold in NC, but if they can't manage 90 for a while, how will they ever leave my house?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    its ok if they huddle, i take mine back 5 degree a week till 4th week, then they go into the garage with a heat lamp on the celing, mainly keeps it about 60-70 degree the whole time, no issues

i wouldn't worry about what they are doing so much as in what NEEDS to be done ya know [​IMG]

i keep mine in the living/dining area of my house(its a small house [​IMG]) and yea, by 4 weeks they are out and doing great, once they get feathers its ok to pretty much drop them to room temp of your house w/o having to worry about it, they may huddle, but nothing that needs concern

3. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Huddling is good...dog piling is bad. A dog pile could cause death of birds under the pile.

I agree with Mibotsu, back 5 degree a week till 4th week. If you started with 95*F in your brooder, that would put you to 80*F by week four and they should be fully feathered by then. If you are going to put them outside where the ambient temp is less than 80*F...continue to keep a light on them and lower 5*F a week until you reach the ambient temps they will be staying in.

Mine are outside under a lamp after 1 week(edited to add, "still in a brooder"), but by week six (they are out of the brooder completely), because it is colder now, I'll only put a light on them at night for a while...attached to a timer so that the light will go on for three hours, off for two, on again for another three, by then the sun is coming up and they do fine during the day.

This is just a technique, not that it works for everyone or would be feasible to everyone..but works for me during winter hatches.

Keep an eye on your chicks and they'll tell what is good while you're weening them off the artificial heat.

Good luck with your chicks.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  4. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    If You Have More Than A Few And They Huddle From Being Cold, Some Will Be Mashed And Will Die, If They Are Huddling Really Close, They Are Cold And Need More Heat, If They Are Spread Out, They Are Comfy...if They Are Huddling As Far As They Can Get From The Light It Is Too Warm. I Rotate As Their Action Indicates Between Heat Lamps, 100, 75 60 Watt Light Bulbs To Get The Right Setting For Them.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I hate heat lamps I could never get them to accurately heat my Iddy's seemed I always worried about fires & cooking the birds. I bought the Brinsea Eco Brooder 50 & what a jewel. Its adjustable so you can make one side higher than the other letting the birds have more heat are move over if too hot. I usually brood my Iddy's in their pens they seem to feather out quicker & seem healthier.

6. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Quote:Thanks. I think I'm getting the idea. I keep moving the light up or down to get the right temp. They're spread out now.

7. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I'll tell you what has saved me a ton of work, I ended up buying a light dimmer switch and wiring it into the cord on my brooder heat light, I put a 250 watt bulb in it and I can turn it up or down as needed, most of the time I dont even start out with it halfway up but if I need 250 watts I have it and I can decrease the temp by the week by just turning the dial.

I think it cost me about $6 and basic wiring and tape fixed me right up.

8. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Quote:Thanks. I think I'm getting the idea. I keep moving the light up or down to get the right temp. They're spread out now.

I basically do the same thing. I go from 60-100 watt. Bought a 250, but since they aren't completely outside haven't found the need for it - yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by