My weekly "what are we?" post (5 pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by confusedturtle, Jun 15, 2011.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    These chicks were sold to me as buff orpington mixes. The lady said they were from a buff rooster and possibly a wyandotte hen, but she wasn't 100% sure. She said she has a BO hen but wasn't sure if the fertilized eggs came from her or not. Since I do not know their breed I also am not sure of their sex either. I have noticed subtle differences in the two chicks though, which makes me think maybe one is a roo [​IMG] What do you think? The ones in question seem to have a strawberry comb and they run like the road runner so I have a tough time catching them to get a close pic of their feet. They have yellowish feet that in shade almost have a slight green tint? The alleged BO's are about 6 weeks old, the red sex links are about 8 weeks old and I think the amber link is 9-10 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a red sex link (top), the 2 in question (middle), another red sex link (standing on red cement block) and the butt of a probable amberlink.
    [​IMG]
    All of my girls? I have been told the white one is possibly an amberlink hen, one of the girls in question, 2 of the red sex links, and the other girl in question
    [​IMG]
    These are the 2 in question with my probable (sp?) amberlink hen. **edited** my amberlink got into something so she (?) looks like she has a mask or darker marking around her eye area, she doesn't though. Her face is just dirty, sorry she is a tough one to keep clean LoL!
    [​IMG]
    Im sorry the pictures are not great, my youngest kept trying to catch them so I could get a good picture even though I told her it did not help LoL! I hope I got the pics strait, if not I will edit to fit, thanks again for any and all help we just want to find out all of my girls [​IMG] are [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Really pretty crosses [​IMG] though I have no idea on breed. Sorry [​IMG]

3. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    LoL no worries Im lost as to what they are for sure, thanks for the compliment on them though [​IMG]

4. phy

phy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    They both look like pullets to me.

I don't think they're full-blood buff orpingtons; they look too dark and not feathered enough to be them.

5. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Actually I thought they looked a little like my buff sussex because of the black stripes on the neck, but since you know they're part orpington your guess is really as good as mine [​IMG]

6. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    The lady wasn't sure and Im new to all of this so I had no idea. She had a lot of chickens and I believe 1-2 roo's so she was fairly certain who the baby daddy was but not 100% on the mama since she was incubating a bunch all at once LoL. Glad they look hen-y though, I really dont want to get rid of any of them [​IMG] Thank you [​IMG]

**edited** for all I know they could be sussex, she had alot of chickens and they free reanged on her land, so I have no idea what the other roo's breed was?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  7. phy

phy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Yeah, I'm nearly 100% sure they're females -- their combs/wattles are too pale and small to be males. [​IMG]
    Beautiful hens you got there, by the way <3 <3 <3

8. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:x2 definetely hens. Actually, do BOs have yellow feet? I don't breed them - sussex have pink, not sure about wyandottes...[​IMG]

9. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG] YaY! Thanks. I sure hope they are all hens. We got the 2 in question because we thought the Amberlink was a Red Sexlink rooster and we'd have to get rid of him, we have since been given hope that s/he is an amberlink hen instead. The lady who sold me the two in question thought that one might be a rooster and is willing to buy back any roo's, but now we have hope that all 5 are hens [​IMG] Thank you

10. MinnerBuckwheat

MinnerBuckwheat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    A pure BO will not have yellow feet, they have a white/pink color legs and feet. A buff rock would, but not BO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by