1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Wellsummer hens' eggs are not dark brown

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mike0221, Mar 25, 2015.

1. mike0221

mike0221 New Egg

Apr 9, 2013
    Have two Wellsummer laying hens I purchased from a local farm, but the eggs are no darker brown than my Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock. Do some Wellsummer chickens not lay dark brown eggs with speckles?

2. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Can you post some pics of your Welsummers? Is the local farm a reputable breeder?

My first guess is that perhaps you got a barnyard mix.

3. mike0221

mike0221 New Egg

Apr 9, 2013
    Thanks for the response and I think you are right. Attached are the pics. I am going to call the breeder tomorrow to see if she will take them back. They are pretty and I enjoy them, but I can only have a limited flock and want them to be of the chickens I really want.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    They do look mixed.

5. mike0221

mike0221 New Egg

Apr 9, 2013
    Ugh. Ok, I guess they will go back to the breeder. I really appreciate it.

6. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I am in the same boat. I can only comfortably hold about 8 chickens, so I'm picky about my birds. Right now I have 4 hatchery-mutts (they were our first chickens) that will eventually get "phased out". Nothing wrong with them, but they don't fit into the "grand scheme" :)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree those aren't Wellies but barnyard mixes. Hopefully you can work something out with the seller.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by