My Welsummer and Buckeye pullets are STILL not laying at 40 weeks.

littlelemon

Songster
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Ohio
I have never had to wait this long for eggs. I have always had pullets start to lay by at least 30 weeks (though I think my Delawares were a bit past that). All of my older hens stopped laying for the winter and I was counting on the pullet eggs to get us through- but here it is mid-January and nothing. What is really upsetting is that I sold several Buckeyes from the same hatching to friends of mine, and they are laying! I can't believe that theirs are laying and mine are not- it's not fair!!!!!!!
hit.gif

So those of you with Welsummers and Buckeyes- are they particularly late maturing? Am I going to have to wait until spring until I see an egg? I know I sound impatient, but 40 weeks- that is too long.

I will look in the yard today. I guess it is possible, but I doubt it as they stay inside the coop when we have lots of snow and I think I would have seen an egg in the coop during those times if they were laying. My other thought is that maybe I have an egg eater-though I haven't seen any signs of that at all, no crushed eggs, no pieces of shell, nothing. All of my other hens have stopped laying for the winter so I haven't seen a single egg since November.

My wellies laid right around... 24 weeks, I believe, maybe 25. It's my Javas that are aiming for the soup.

I've heard people say that depending on your timing sometimes they'll wait until spring to start at all. Maybe a protein boost is in order?

Not what I want to hear. I have 2 12 1/2 week old pullets. (where's the plugging my ears smiley?)

I think I'd up their protein and see if that helps. Get mealworms, tuna, higher protein feed, scrambled eggs (if you have enough to share).

Back
Top Bottom