My Welsummer and Buckeye pullets are STILL not laying at 40 weeks.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by littlelemon, Jan 20, 2010.

1. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I have never had to wait this long for eggs. I have always had pullets start to lay by at least 30 weeks (though I think my Delawares were a bit past that). All of my older hens stopped laying for the winter and I was counting on the pullet eggs to get us through- but here it is mid-January and nothing. What is really upsetting is that I sold several Buckeyes from the same hatching to friends of mine, and they are laying! I can't believe that theirs are laying and mine are not- it's not fair!!!!!!! [​IMG]

So those of you with Welsummers and Buckeyes- are they particularly late maturing? Am I going to have to wait until spring until I see an egg? I know I sound impatient, but 40 weeks- that is too long.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    any crowing? [​IMG]

3. littlelemon

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Very funny- I would laugh if it wasn't such a depressing situation:)

4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Did you have an egghunt yet? Maybe they're hiding a giant stash somewhere in the run.

5. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    They could very well be hiding them.... Thats a good suggestion. [​IMG]

I hope they lay soon.

6. littlelemon

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I will look in the yard today. I guess it is possible, but I doubt it as they stay inside the coop when we have lots of snow and I think I would have seen an egg in the coop during those times if they were laying. My other thought is that maybe I have an egg eater-though I haven't seen any signs of that at all, no crushed eggs, no pieces of shell, nothing. All of my other hens have stopped laying for the winter so I haven't seen a single egg since November.

7. littlelemon

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:I noticed in your sig that you have a Welsummer pullet. Is she laying yet?

8. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    First sunny day you get, push them out into the snow for 2 hours. Won't kill them, and certainly helped my egg production.

9. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    My wellies laid right around... 24 weeks, I believe, maybe 25. It's my Javas that are aiming for the soup.

I've heard people say that depending on your timing sometimes they'll wait until spring to start at all. Maybe a protein boost is in order?

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Not what I want to hear. I have 2 12 1/2 week old pullets. (where's the plugging my ears smiley?)

I think I'd up their protein and see if that helps. Get mealworms, tuna, higher protein feed, scrambled eggs (if you have enough to share).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by