My Welsummer Roo... or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mamachicken888, Nov 15, 2011.

1. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Here are three of my Welsummers. They are all exactly the same age. The first two are hens, I'm sure. Now, the third was called a Roo very early but I've since wondered about him/her... mainly because when I look up pics of Welsummer hens, he looks just like them! But, I'd appreciate any feedback you may have on his/her gender. We still haven't named the poor thing. What's it going to be? Wanda or Wilbur?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. kyfarm

kyfarm Out Of The Brooder

wanda it is welsummers males and females look extremely different. even as newborn chicks. remember the dark eyeliner "makeup" means its a girl.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    It's Wanda! [​IMG]

4. egglicious

egglicious Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Hen for sure!

5. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i think its a hen, if its a hen will you be happy or were you wanting a roo?

6. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Well, ok then... but why is HER comb so much bigger and redder and she has waddles and the other two don't?

7. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Quote:Well we were wondering why Rocky (our barred rock roo) wasn't really concerned with competing with this one.... I guess now we know. [​IMG]

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1st 2 are hens and i am sure the last one is a roo. if they are all the same age then yea its a roo

if you can get some side pics and pics from the top of all the birds it will better help

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Quote:There is variance among individuals in a breed for when the comb/wattles develop and what their final size and shape will be. I've read that it can be related to dominance also (dominant pullet develops earlier). And as others have mentioned, the males look COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than the females in coloration. There is no doubt whatsoever that your girl is a Wanda.

10. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Quote:There is variance among individuals in a breed for when the comb/wattles develop and what their final size and shape will be. I've read that it can be related to dominance also (dominant pullet develops earlier). And FWIW, the males look COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than the females in coloration. There is no doubt whatsoever that your girl is a Wanda.

Right... wattles. I knew that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by