My White Leghorn will be 15 weeks tomorrow

bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
So how close am I to getting my 1st egg? I've never had chickens before and I've read 16 weeks and 20+ weeks...but what is the normal for WLs? I didn't put her on layer feed yet because I have other chicks in the coop with her that are much younger - three 11 week olds and soon I'll have eight 4 week olds that will have access to her feed as well. I figured I would supplement her start/grower feed with oyster shell, but how do I give just her oyster shell?

It's so crazy that I am terrified to let her free range for fear something will happen to her after getting her this far - I just want one egg from her! HAHA!

bobbieschicks,

We have 3 white leghorns and got our first egg last week at 21.5 weeks of age. That hen has been laying an egg every day since. Two days ago, we noticed two white eggs so we have another leghorn laying. Today we had 3 eggs, although one of them was a bit off-white so we're not sure if all 3 leghorns are laying or if it's one of the other 6 hens.

We did notice that about two weeks after their combs (white leghorns) suddenly got larger and very red is when they started laying. I'm no expert but based on our experience, I'd say look for that change.

Sounds like you might be about 6 weeks away from having eggs if they're anything like ours. Hang in there!

Last edited:
Quote:
Okay thanks! I did notice that SnowWhite's comb is getting taller and pinker, but she still has a very small comb compared to the roo. I joked with my son that we should give eggs to everyone for Christmas presents and we may just be able to do that!

Here's Snowwhite hanging with Foghorn and the 3 11 week olds - this was last week.
97463_pictures_today_004.jpg

I don't have a close up of Snowwhite, but this is my Ancona AC - and Snowwhite's comb looks just like this with the redness around her face now. My little AC is only 10 weeks old in this picture.
97463_ac008.jpg

she still has a few weeks to go looking at the pic. Her comb will become very red before she lays.
My leghorns where around 22 wks at POL.

Back
Top Bottom