My white peahen- has super big swollen shut eye???????????

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by wannabchick, May 15, 2011.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    What do I do??? its not she is going to let me grab her.. LOL
    She was laying.. she laid two eggs.. last week.. none this week.. then went out and was sitting on the chair today.. and everytime I got a glimpse of her it was the one good side.. went to leave and whammo.. she turned her head.. and I just about freaaaaaaaked..
    she has the whole one side of head swollen/ and eye.. cant even see it... so I can only assume its swollen shut

what do I do??????????????????/

thanks everyone

2. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Get a pic so I can see what it looks like.

3. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    I would.. but my cell phone cam.. and regular camera is down..
    but its like just shut.. and she is doing.. the sneezing and the head shake, and the opening the mouth

so whatever it is.. its got to be treated
    I injected 1 cc of tylan- in little peice of bread.. injected it.. and threw out a piece to each peafowl.. they each got it and gobbled it up.

Tommorrow I have coming.. crossing my fingers by tommorrow.. / the infamous baytril, and something that starts with the letter G/ahh.
    here is what it is gallimycin

My question.. can I give Baytril and Gallimycin to them... just incase its one or the other.. respitory illness.

Gallimycin.. 10 day treatment then- coryza vaccination.

But can I also use the baytril...??? incase its some other illness????

and eye ointment
    So I am hoping to goissssssssssh its not corynza.. or whatever that is called
    thanks

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  4. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    oh yuck, it does sound like the start of a respiratory illness. Do peafowl get the same ones chickens do? Sorry, I am not much help. The medications you have started work well on chickens. Baytril is supposed to be really good for these things too. Good luck!

5. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:Yep, from what I read yes.. they get alot of the same thing.. so I am freaking with the whole.. coryza thing
    wondering then.. if I need to treat..everyone with the gallimycin
    for 10 days.. and then do a coryza vaccine

and with my little chicks still in the house. I am sooooooooooooo getting the vaccine.. and giveing it to them too

xoxo

6. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What makes you think it is coryza? We had similiar symptoms and necropsy showed ILT. Most of these things seem to look very similiar. We did vaccinate our young birds that had been in our basement brooder and so far it is working. Can you take the bird to an Avian vet for a diagnosis? We have been wanted Peas too, but still trying to find out if they can be affected. good luck! [​IMG]

7. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by