My white quails patterning

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Dec 14, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have seen some nice looking quail lately on here that are white with golden pattern or with wild pattern so I thought I'd post mine. I have several with a couple spots but these two are the most color patterning on the back

They are VERY dirt, apologize for that lol they are enjoying their sandbox a lil much these days since I warm their sand up sometimes lol

PS The blue is NOT natural color lol, that is how the breeder that I got them from marked them when I got them so I knew who was a male, I think its fingernail polish or model paint, its wearing off now. I have gone with leg bands to mark my boys now, works great and they are cheap so dont paint your birds lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    also a couple pics down you see the "crooked beak" lol, before I get a bunch of comments yes I know he is a crooked beak lol, I am trying to get some good whites going and am doing a "test hatch" on his pen eggs soon to see if he is even fertilizing eggs. I have always had my eggs mixed so I dont know who was who's babies but I have never got a crooked beak chick yet so if he is fathering at least he is not passing that trait on

3. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    His beak doesn't look too bad...you might even try trimming both ends and see if that helps realign his beak. Never have done that with a quail, but will work sometimes with chickens.

I'd still be cautious in using him in a breeding program...but understand the "do what you gotta do" concept.

4. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah I really dont have to use him, I have another white male, I think your right though just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it wont

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by