My whiteleg horn rooster has a comb bigger than 80's hair! What gives

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Danigirl3, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    I have a white leghorn rooster who is about 5 months old and his comb is enormous! I have never see one this big on a chicken. Does testosterone have anything to do with this. Like the more testosterone the bigger the comb? His spurs are just starting to get longer. Also I have noticed the past week or so he has been after the hens. Not sure exactly in what sense. I have seen him a few times him trying to "sit" on top of a few of them but have also noticed one of my brown leghorn pullets and white plymouth rock pullets has had a waddle that was a little bloody. Yesterday I saw him try to grab at one of my lavenvelder's waddle. Is this the equivalent of pulling pig tails in the school yard? We are in the process of building a bigger coop. I know their space right now is less than ideal so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

2. centavo71

centavo71 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern Alberta
    Do you have a photo? A couple of my leghorn roosters have huge combs as well. Love your 'bigger than 80's hair' comment [​IMG] gonna have to remember that one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by