My Wichita Coop Build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SebashtionH, Nov 9, 2014.

1. SebashtionH

SebashtionH Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Spring Hill Florida
    Hello All, I picked up the coop design from baldessariclan
    and I am re designing it to fit my 6'x12' idea.
    I am a cabinet maker by trade with 22 years exp. so this is going to be a little bit different from what I am use to building.
    I think I can do it :)
    Below is the sketch up file so far. I am pulling dimensions on all parts so I have a full set of plans, this way I can rock out in the shop cut all parts and then take them out to the site and build!!!!
    [​IMG]

I found a good deal for lumber on Craig list Tampa

[​IMG]

it is about 100) 2x4s, 7) 2x6, 11) T1-11 sheets and 2) windows for $200!!!!!!! I have to de nail them and clean them up. I need to clean them up soon they are blocking my shop entrance :)

this picture is the start of de nailing the lumber.
    [​IMG]

I also have the spot picked out on the side of my house, and staked off ready for the blocks to be leveled and put in.

[​IMG]

you cannot see the string level in this picture but the ground is about 8" drop in 12'. so I have a bunch of digging going to happen!!!!!
    I want the left side of the coop blocks to be about 2" above the ground so if it rains hard the water will not run into the coop.

I will post pictures as I progress, I am not in a rush since I don't have the hens as of yet so I get to take my time and build this as nice as I can, then start hunting for the girls for the coop.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    With your carpentry skills, you should have no problem building a coop! I like your coop plan and what a good buy on the lumber.

Looking forward to seeing progress pictures so keep posting, ok?

3. Finnie

Finnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking forward to watching your progress, too.

I'm 8 days into building what I'm calling my "Practice Coop". But I don't have any carpentry skills, so I am learning the hard way, as I go along. I was afraid of the mitre and circular saws before, but now I'm pretty good at using them. What I really hate is the measuring. Over and over to quadruple check, and then I STILL make the cut wrong! I keep thinking to myself "WHY would any one ever want to build wooden things for a living?!"

I am looking forward to seeing how yours goes, and how someone that knows what they are doing handles the different challenges. :)

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Your comment about measuring reminds me of Ross Perot (remember him?)...he used to say "Measure twice and cut once", lol.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    X2

6. Finnie

Finnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2014
    Indianapolis

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Lol, maybe Ross Perot stole the line from Norm (or vice versa)!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. SebashtionH

Oct 1, 2014
    Spring Hill Florida
    got the 25 cement blocks this week. going to be digging in the footer this weekend hopefully

10. SebashtionH

Oct 1, 2014
    Spring Hill Florida
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    got the foundation in!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by