1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my wife feed my 3 week old chicks clover

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmantoo1, Apr 27, 2007.

1. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    my wife feed my 3 week old chicks clover now i have one that is acting like something is hung in its throat help what can i do did she do wrong with the clover:barnie

2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Clover wont hurt them. Most likely, it didnt swallow it all the way. You can gently open the beak and if you see it you can pull it out, slowly and gently.

3. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    You could give all the chicks a little bit of grit (or just nice clean sand). That will help them process the leafiness of the clover and allow them to digest it better.

-MTchick

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Believe me, your wife did NOT do the wrong thing,
    Maternal instincts kick in with us creatures!!!!lol
    my 3 week olds are out fossiking with their mum eating all sorts of things, do what 4kids and mom and MT chick suggested, Best of luck.
    Helen

5. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    The clover (or grass or anything green) needs to be cut into very small pieces for the chicks to eat. It should not be fed whole. When they eat it themselves outside, they nip off little pieces; they don't eat whole stems and leaves, which can get impacted in their crops and cause big problems.

Try what 4H suggests... if you can see it, try GENTLY pulling it out. MTchick is also right--you should feed them a little chick grit to help them digest this material.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by