My wife is looking for her "DREAM ROOSTER" lol

Thanks all for the recommendations. She has decided that it is better to find a nice rooster than a "perfect" looking rooster. I think she is right.

OH you just explained my large cochin rooster who is VERY sweet! Here he is... He waits patiently for us to come down to the coop and lift him up on the roost. He's such a doll!

17weekoldcochinroo.jpg

I agree with HenMama2- my 5 month old SLW roo looks almost identical to hers. He's gorgeous- fat, fluffy, beautiful markings, and I love his iridescent green tail too. Great personality (kind of a dork really), good to the girls and does a good job looking after them, and he's not been aggressive at all. I never meant to have a rooster (he came in an order of pullets) but I'm glad I wound up with him :)

Light Brahmas, Barred Rocks or Jersey Giants are very gentle and tame. They are big babies when raised from a chick. I have never had any of these roos go wild or become the home predator of the barnyard !!:eek::eek::eek:

Your wife needs herself a Thor (dark brahma). His tail isn't full yet, but it's getting there.

thorbig001.jpg

Last edited:
My Rocky (SLW) roo was a beautiful boy, very sweet and good natured. Although my RIR roo Sarge is the Alpha, Rocky still took his roo responsibilities very seriously and helped take good care of the girls. He was a real sweetheart. *missing my Rocky roo* He was easier to handle and cuddle on than my SLW hen, Pebbles. The three I have left (I know, I know, but I did NOT want any of them to end up in someone's stew pot) are Sarge, the RIR, Moose, the Buff Orpington roo (a stinker; can be ornery but Sarge keeps him in his place), and Brewster, the Barred Rock rooster who would like to challenge Sarge for Alpha position but has the good sense NOT TO DO SO at this stage of life...
wink.png
Of all 3, Sarge is a very good Alpha and is not aggressive except when keeping flock order & not letting his subordinates get out of hand. The BO went through a really mean streak during adolescence, but has settled down (thanks to RoosterRed's roo behavior page!) quite a bit, and the BR roo is not a cuddle buddy, but is not mean or aggressive except he is a bit aggressive sometimes when he starts to mate the hens. I think he may grow out of some of that. He doesn't pull out their feathers or bloody anyone, but he just comes on a bit rough.

You might try a marans. Some of those look like body builders and they do have pretty tails. Australorps of good quality are also nice.

Quote:
Darn it all, you stole my witty comment.
tongue.png
big_smile.png

To the OP: I suggest Jersey Giants. They're fat, fluffy, have nice big sickles, and huge combs and wattles. They're also friendly.

Barred Rock roosters can be nice, too.

Back
Top Bottom