My wife is looking for her "DREAM ROOSTER" lol

ThiefPouter06

Songster
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
green co. KY
Ok, My Buff Orp rescue rooster has turned into a terror on two legs. He has flogged my niece, my nephews 10 year old friend and now my nieghboor! (thank goodness she is my former sister in-law). He is going to my friends farm. He only keeps roosters
hmm.png
any way. My wife has me looking for ideas for his replacement. Heres the catch she likes fat, fluffy chickens but she also wants one with a big full tail. So far most all Big roosters (RIR, Cochins, wyandottes, ROcks) seem to have small wimpy tails. And the breeds with the big full tails (leghorns, lakenvelders minorcas) are too thin in body for her liking. She does like the dorking but I am not sure if they are that easy to find. So Is there a happy medium? If you have suggestions or pics I would appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt, where in Kentucky is Summerville?

There are always folks trying to find good homes for roos on this forum! Perhaps some folks will respond with descriptions and photos of available roos in your area and your wife can "shop online", so to speak!

I speak as someone with a baby Iowa Blue roo (maybe?) that will probably be looking to place him in the future!

My favorite chicken-boy is a Mille Fleur D'Uccle. He doesn't really fit your described needs, but he (and his brothers & father) is the sweetest rooster I have ever met. My chicken-girls love him and so do all the humans in the family.

I am no expert here by any means. I have just gotten chickens this year. That being said I have three adult roos here now and one youngin coming up. I have a Maran cross, a Easter Egger and a Speckled Sussex. Of those three my Speckled Sussex by far is a real sweet dude. He loves treats, doesn't get too rough with the ladies, is gentle for all my kiddos, and is a big fluffy deep red guy - white spots and the most beautiful green/black fluffy tail. If you can find one that sweet then I am sure your wife would be happy. Good luck in your search!

They are not big and fluffy, but Phoenix roos have lovely tails. Mine is a perfect gentleman. I have had him for many years, and he has never gone after a human. My Jersey Giant roo is pretty friendly too, but his tail is only average. Once you get a friendly roo, your wife will realize that he is beautiful no matter what he looks like.

I have been on a quest for the perfect rooster also. In me mind it's passive like a cochin rooster, heavy breed like a Rock with Red Pyle markings and a long phoenix tail. No luck so far.

I have been told that show quality heavy breeds normally have a much fuller tail than what you get from the hatcheries. I'd check eggbid from time to time.

Other than that I think your best bet is to hop on Craigslist and find some sort of cross. A lot of hobby farmers that don't have the heart to process are posting their extras right now. When I was a kid, I had a sumatra/partridge rock cross rooster that was just beautiful.

My 6 month old SLW is so sweet, I just love him! He has very nice looking tail feathers. They were quite a bit fuller than this a while back and are growing back in now, but they are such a pretty color green when the sunlight hits them.

2868092700_9e1c7752a7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom