My wife pipped a 21 day egg and hit the membrane

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DangerChickenHouse, Mar 1, 2012.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    It's still alive. This happened last night. The hole is huge. I'm at work, but I'll try to post a pic.

What should I do?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Do you mean she broke a hole in the egg? I would just leave it be in the incubator. She should leave that incubator closed, so that she doesn't release all the humidity they need for hatching. That chick will come out on it's own.

3. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    She took a tack. Sterilized it with an alcohol pad, and made a hole the size of my pinky finger's nail. You can see the chicken in the membrane. It's breathing! Will it dry out or something? I'm worried that she messed up the balance of the air flow in the egg.

Also, she punctured where the membrane meets the egg. It's a small hole, but it's punctured.

She isn't going to mess with it anymore. She feels terrible.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Was there a reason she pipped the egg on Day 21? They're only due on Day 21, not late. It may be fine if the hole in the membrane is tiny, but no need to do that, especially if the egg isn't even late hatching. I'd have put a cross of scotch tape across that hole after dripping a few drops of warm water on the membrane and put it back in the bator.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thank you for advice.

After adding droplets, I could see the feathers through the membrane. It's still alive. I hope it hatches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by