My window just broke!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by luvmychicknkids, Dec 21, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    And I am at a complete loss as to why. I have three little boys so normally I might think one of them threw something....but I KNOW they didn't because I know what they were doing at the time. It s cold. VERY cold....12 degrees with a 3 degree windchill. My house has double pane insulated windows. The only thing I can possibly imagine caused it is this: My middle son is the most hot natured of our family. He had his bedroom window open just a fraction of an inch. The heat registers are on the ceiling and his is right in front of the window. Is is possible that the glass was so cold that when the heat kicked on it broke it? It is a straight crack, right across the middle on the inside glass. I am not too thrilled right now. Just kinda adds to the scrooge mood I have been feeling all this season. [​IMG]

2. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

Change in low pressure to high pressure could generate enough for to cause a straight line crack. If you were to have a leak in the double insulated window that would do it as well

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I was kinda wondering about a possible leak in the window. *sigh* This stupid house is just barely over 3 years old and we have had problem after problem with it. It was a case of them building a new "subdivision" out in the middle of nowhere and we needed a house FAST. This was almost finished and we bought it. We jokingly call it the "disposable house".

4. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Oh so sorry.. I know putting windows in are easy but changing a window might just be kinda tough..

Im thinking of putting up that shrink wrap on the inside of the house to help with the energy bill too..

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yes, a cold (or maybe I should say frozen) window having heat blown at it could crack. If this is something he is going to continue doing you should see about getting one of those heat deflectors to put on the register. It would deflect the heat out into the room instead of letting it go straight up.

6. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    My mom has this freaky thing that happens to her windows. The inside pane will just shatter for no apparent reason. I think it has something to do with the gas inside of them. [​IMG] She's had a half dozen of them do it.

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh my.....I really hope the others don't decide to follow suit. Breaking windows all around me doesn't sound like my idea of fun.

Well, I have instructed him that he is NOT to open the window as long as it is winter for ANY reason. Why oh why I have one hot natured child is a complete mystery. [​IMG]

I am dreading trying to fix or get it fixed but I am going to wait for now. If anything it will just make his room a tiny touch cooler which he would LOVE!!! My hubby will be here in a couple of weeks.....he can deal with it. [​IMG]

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Can you close some of the registers in his room? We close registers in rooms that are warmer than we'd like. Maybe you could try that.

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yeah, I did that. What I haven't confessed here is that I keep the heat between 80 and 83 in the Winter. I know......but I freeze and I just can't handle it. He is the only one who complains though. I go in his room and it feels cold to me and he still complains that it is hot. [​IMG]

10. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Put some duct tape on it. It'll barely be noticeable... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by