My winterized coop and homemade PVC feeder *pic heavy*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by smalltownchicks, Nov 12, 2011.

1. smalltownchicks

smalltownchicks Seven Silly Hens

Jul 7, 2011
    [​IMG]
    The closed up coop
    [​IMG]
    The open up and airing out coop
    [​IMG]
    Inside with next boxes that a few girls are roosting on at night since I put in a poop board...
    [​IMG]
    The next boxes that I just ordered that I am going to paint the grape color that is inside the coop
    [​IMG]
    My new roost and poop board...I love it! Thanks for the idea here!
    [​IMG]
    My homemade feeder outside...
    [​IMG]
    And inside...
    [​IMG]
    And last but not least my copied sign from another BYC member, hope you don't mind, I just loved it so much!!!

Thanks for looking:)

2. ryan820

ryan820 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Colorado
    Well done! But where are the chooks?

3. Frithest

Frithest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Seattle
    Beautiful. Obvious that a ton of work went into it!

4. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Very very nice. I really like the color choice.

5. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Ive done my feeder the same way. Looks like you used 4" pvc? I used 2" and ran it to one of thoise little plastic feeder/waterers (depending on what base you put on it) with the yop cut open so the pipe can slide down into it. Sure makes feeding alot easier.

Bravo on your coop. It looks awesome.

6. ericz

ericz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    media pa
    that's a lovely bit of workmanship and imagination. i wish i had the ability to create something like that.

7. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    How do I make this feeder?

8. NewChcikenmommy!

NewChcikenmommy! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    that is so awesome! I want one just like that!

9. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:Depending on what size you want to use - most prefer 4" - I have mine made with 2"

You have to get 2 - 45 degree fittings for whatever size pipe you use, get a stick of the size pipe you want to use, a Female Adapter, and a cap that will thread into the adaptor.

You'll need a tape measure and a hacksaw also.

What I did was put the two 45's on a piece of pipe around 3' long with one pointing up and the other pointing down. Then I took that pipe and got it near where the feeder would be to see how long of a pipe I would need for the bottom piece and how long a piece of pipe for the top (where the cap is going to go). Once medasured how long they needed to be, I cut and then tried it out. I did not glue anything yet so I could make modifications as needed.

Once the 3 pieces of pipe were cut to my liking, then I glued them together and added the cap. I strapped the pipe using 2-hole straps and feeder project was completed.

You can fill up the pipe with feed and as they eat from the feeder, the feed will move down the pipe and the hens will have feed all day.

Hope this helped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by