MY WINTERIZED COOP/RUN - What does yours look like??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Shayna, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Here is a picture of what I did with my run-
    [​IMG]
    I wrapped 6mm painters plastic all around it to block wind, snow, cold rain. We had a really messy rainy/snowy day and my guineas were soaked. They sleep out on the tree branches in the run at night instead of going into the coop. I did leave ventilation at the top still so the full run is not enclosed in plastic, but the majority is. On sunny days, it's about 10+ degrees warmer and feels like a nice greenhouse. The silkies were really enjoying it and taken dust bathes while the guineas were out ranging. I do still need to add strips of wood around the outside of the plastic since the staples won't hold it in high wind.

I have also put hay bales around the outside of the old coop shed to help insulate it better. I put plastic between the shed and the hay to protect the shed from the soggy hay. I also added extra litter to make the floor deeper and better insulated. I also added a rubber flap in the opening between the run and shed.

Do you live somewhere that has harsh winters? Show me your coop and/or run!

Adding a before picture of mine:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I certainly do not have harsh winters where I live, but your run looks awesome...wish mine was half as nice.

3. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:Thank you! But I'd downgrade it in a minute if it meant that I could do wildlife rehabilitation! I've seen your bobcat thread - amazing... [​IMG]

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ha ha thanks. We are actually in the process of trying to save the center...there just isn't enough funding out there. The property we work off of is too expensive to keep, and no one is donating money right now (we are 501(c)3) [​IMG]

Does your run have a coop attached to it on the other side not in the pic?

5. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:Oh that's so sad! I really hope that some events can be held or something to bring attention to the need for funding.

The run is attached to an old, not fancy shed that we use as a coop. I added a "before" picture to my original post and you can kind of see the shed in the back. It just can't be seen with the plastic on.

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours looks exactly like it does the rest of the year-only we closed some windows in the coop.

7. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:I'm sure we could have done that, which would force them to spend all of their time in the coop when the weather is really crummy. I really want a run that is very usable in all 4 seasons, especially for the neurotic guineas on the days they can't free range. The 2' high baseboards all around the run were done to protect from snow drifts as well as predators.

I'd love to see pics of others who have winterized and maybe get more ideas!

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm sure we could have done that, which would force them to spend all of their time in the coop when the weather is really crummy. I really want a run that is very usable in all 4 seasons, especially for the neurotic guineas on the days they can't free range. The 2' high baseboards all around the run were done to protect from snow drifts as well as predators.

I'd love to see pics of others who have winterized and maybe get more ideas!

I'm hoping they won't spend all the time in there. There are a lot of people around here that have chickens (I live out in the sticks) and I've seen them out in the snow all winter so maybe ours will too. I do plan to get a snow shovel to keep by the run to shovel a path for them. I can see winterizing that way for guineas though, since they like to stay and roost outside. And I do like how you have that 2' all around though. That would probably be pretty easy to add to our run and our dog would quit trying to dig at the fence to get the bread and chicken bones I throw to them.

9. Steadfast

Steadfast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    NC. USA
    My Coop
  10. ODEY587

ODEY587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2011
    we just put plastic around our coops and run this weekend! ours looks alot like yours except we put wood slats along the top bottom and sides to keeep the wind from ripping it off

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by