1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My wish has been granted... one excellent hatch this year...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrs MIA, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    What a roller-coaster this Spring/Summer has been. Many of you know that I've been thoroughly frustrated, to the point of tears, with my hatch rate on shipped eggs. Well, I kept trying... first with the silver grey and red dorkings - I got one chick of each breed out of 6 shipments. Then Cynthia (Speckledhen) sent me eggs from her Suede, Velvet and Skye. I have one absolutely BEAUTIFUL [​IMG] blue (Sapphire) from the second shipment that she shared with me.

[​IMG]

We tried SO hard to break my status as a "one chick wonder"... so hard. And I WILL try again in the Spring (thank you Cyn!!!) [​IMG]

And then Korfus Kluckers (Christina) sends me eggs, and out of 6 eggs that made it to the hatcher, only one chick, Sterling, made it.

[​IMG]

But alas, it was not meant to be... Sterling was born blind, and I didn't catch it until it was too later... I still tear up when I think about it, that little chick had such a hold on my heart. :aww

Not one to give up easily, Christina sent me one last set, 18 more eggs, three weeks ago on a wing and a prayer. One was cracked, but 17 precious eggs went into the incubator. Day 6 I candled...looking good... Day 11 I candled... down to 13. Day 15 I candled again... all 13 still moving... I'm starting to get antsy. [​IMG] Day 18, I candled them before putting them in the hatcher... one has a "?" on it, but the other 12 are active! [​IMG] The waiting begins................ Tuesday night, 10:30pm .... PIP!
    3:30am I'm awakened by it's arrival, and wha???? there's another pip! Sweet! #2 is out, and there's another pip! Woo hoo! Then all of a sudden, there's 5 more pips... WOW! I'm going to actually have a great hatch!!! Well, here it is, 6:20pm on Wednesday, 20 hours later, and I have 9 chicks in the brooder. NINE!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] Not only did Christina break my OCW status, she blew it out of the water!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

#8 and 9 are in the brooder resting after their ordeal, but here's the rest of the gang... every one of them is perfect... no curled toes, no blindness, PERFECT little chunkies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, gang, let's line it up... (no! I don't wanna get my picture taken!!! *pout*
    [​IMG]

Almost... you, there, turn around!!!
    [​IMG]

Say "CHEESE!" [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am SO happy.... so very happy, and totally head over heels in love with these babies. What a way to end the hatching season, huh? I HAVE BBS ORPINGTONS!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Congratulations, Tori! I'm so happy for you. We all want you to have that nice flock of BBS Orpingtons!

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    nice way to end the hatching seasonongrats on your babies

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    YAY! You diserve it!!!!! They are GORGEOUS and really are CHUNKY!!!! Can I snuggle them!? he he! They should be on the downy soft commertials...!

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Thank you Cyn!!! [​IMG] I am in heaven, and I can't wait for Spring to come so we can add a few more Suedelettes to the mix! [​IMG] Seriously, they may become my primary flock! I adore them!!!

6. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] How wonderful! And those babies are truly beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

I am so happy for you.

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Oh my gosh, these are the softest little fuzzy butts... [​IMG]
    I love snuzzling my babies... [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

[​IMG]

9. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    [​IMG]

Great looking chicks, yet even better photographs!
    Good work! [​IMG]

10. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

how awesome is that!!! so neat [​IMG] congrats on the babies [​IMG] i just put some new hampshires in the bator as an experimant and then i should be getting some of jodys buff orps eggs this week sometime [​IMG] and they are going under a broody [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by