My WL cockerel follows me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jennyhaschicks, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    He follows me all around the bark yard. I can't figure out if he likes me or he is telling me to get lost. He does bully my son around and my son will run away crying so I am not sure if he is trying to do that to me too.
    Is there any way I can tell if he likes me or if he wants me to go fly a kite?
    I need to get this guy figured out.

2. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Quote:Well, if you stop, turn around, and crouch down to him with your hand out, does he come and see if you have a treat, or does he fly at your face with his feet out?:eek:

3. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    He never comes to take a treat out of my hand. If I crouch down he just looks at me. He doesn't come at me at all.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think he likes you since he isn't being aggressive towards you. I had a roo like that, he was a sweetheart. I never did get to touch him, but otherwise, he followed me, talking, etc.

5. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    If he was being aggressive would he fluff up and lunge at me feet first? Sorry I am new to this and have never seen a roo be mean. I want to know what to look for.

6. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    My rooster does the same. We have a caged in area for the chickens and I like to just sit out there in my lawn chair watching them. The roo will come as close to me as he can get and just stare at me. He won't let me touch him if I'm in their caged area, nor will he eat from my hand as most of the chickens will. I think they are curious birds and will show aggression if threatened.

7. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    From my own daughter's experience they come at you with their beaks or feet whichever is handier and or closer to you.

8. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Well no beak or feet or anything coming at me.
    Maybe he just loves me? I did hatch him after all. [​IMG]
    We will find out soon enough if he loves me. He is only going on 12 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by