My wonderful Rooster attacked me today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Redfeathers, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I absolutely love this guy. I have had him since he was six weeks old and he has been so sweet and good to his ladies. Today he just attacked me for no reason. He is usually cautiously friendly with me and I recently got him to eat out of my hand and let me pick him up. Now he has gone after me twice today and I'm not sure what to do. I don't want him if he's mean. He was extra rough with the girls today as well, he yanked many feathers and the girls that were unwilling were not given a choice at all. He normally would back off if they told him no.

Darn it! I really wanted to keep him. From what I've read on here though, once they start this it's hard to stop them. [​IMG]

2. gobbles!

gobbles! Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    Mine stopped when someone threw coffee at him. Hey, it worked.

3. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    I'm no expert but could it be spring fever? I have some very shy standoffish roos getting aggressive with the girls too, so far they haven't came after me but I'm noticing some friskie(sp) behavior going on.
    Sylvia

4. professor_yellow

professor_yellow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2008
    You have to show him he is not the boss. My barred rock started getting cocky (pun intended), and following my kids then pecking thier leg. Then on another day I leaned over to collect eggs and he pecked me on the temple ( he was elevated on a board).

I backhanded him and he fell between two boards and i let him think it for a few minutes, then pulled him out by the neck, and stared at him for a few.

He has been on good behavior ever since.

So if you are walking in the yard and they peck your leg, use the side of your foot and give him a good thump in the chest. make him feel it. Then lean down and lock eyeballs for about 30 seconds. Might seem harsh to some, but its the only thing that has worked short of the stew pot.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    How old is he?
    He may just have had an off day or two. Could be normal roo stuff or maybe he wasn't feeling so well -
    I would never opt to harm them, like some people do. Nor would I hold them upside down, as some advice recommends (can be risky to them). You might try just holding him for awhile, with no aggression, just kind dominance. Reward afterward with a little treat. I do this with my roo when I need to check him for boo boos or apply bagbalm or whatever and while he is still nervous about being held (even 7 years later), I think it's because he knows he can't do his job to protect and watch over his hen friend when he's not free to do so. He knows I won't hurt him, that I am a benevolent dictator and that I am also there to protect him. He has seen me run to his side if a dog is in the area, or a hawk, and I feel like he knows I am an ally. He is the best prince with hens - so gentle and loving and selfless.
    My roo (and my roos before him) have been so sweet - not one mean bone in their body. I don't know if I've just been lucky or if it has to do with how I treat them, or both.
    I once was taking care of 2 fairly mean roos (on another property) that had been jerked around from one home to the next and I was trying to find them a good and permanent home. I got to feel what it's like to be attacked and I understand what people go through. It really hurt and I did harbor some evil thoughts toward them! But what I did in that case was try a method of ignoring bad behavior (this included protecting myself with a piece of cardboard or whatever if they were going for my legs) and rewarding good - they got treats when they were not being aggressive. It seemed to work to a degree. Before they could get to know me really well, I had a home for them (they seemed to be really happy there)...so I can't report whether the experiment was a complete success, only that I had some success with it. Had I been able to work with them further I would have held them a lot - gently - and then rewarded with a little something after - and then observed to see if that made a difference after a while.
    I hope your little fellow calms down and that there is peace in the land soon!
    JJ

7. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I have an aggressive roo I have been working with for a few weeks now. He was friendly but became aggressive shortly after I got him. Now when I go in the coop or run to feed him and the hens I first walk it making myself as big as i can. I watch him and if he does not back away from me or makes any aggressive movements towards me I chase him to the corner and stand in front of him making him stay where I want him. I don't let him out of the corner until I let him out. After a few minutes I will then back away from him still facing him and gather the feeders and waterers. When I come back with food and water he usually is calmer and doesn't try anything with me but if he does I do the same thing again, trapping him in the corner until I say he can leave. He has gotten much better and no longer tries to attack me every time I walk by. He still gets a little cocky but is much better. You can;t show fear and have to be assertive. I hope to eventually have him trust me enough to touch him. But that will come with time and continuously working with him. It is time consuming and a daily exercise but so far so good.

8. CluckCluck7

CluckCluck7 New Egg

Feb 12, 2008
    NC
    My Polish rooster sometimes runs across the yard to spur me. I carry a rod, but sometimes he attacks that! Otherwise he's a woose with the hens and turkey. A good squirt with the hose is the only thing that stops him I'm told that roosters feel threatened by some women, and that's the way they are. Go figure! [​IMG]

9. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I grab mine by the tail and just hold him and yell at him. Works for a day but next day he is the same little brat. I think its because I spoil him. Funny thing is he is like a puppy outside. He follows me everywhere I go and when I stop he stops and stays right next to me. Weird huh?

10. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Thank you for the ideas everyone. I'll try holding him more often and for longer. I also like the spray bottle idea, it doesn't hurt him but it gets the point across.

Wish him luck, he has a great home here and I really hate the thought of getting rid of him.

JJthink he is almost 7 months old. Here is a picture of him.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by