My worse hatch ever almost

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dadsdeercamp, Apr 1, 2011.

1. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    I started with 24 silkie eggs. Candled at day 10 all 8 white silkie eggs where clear down to 16. Day 17 candled again 8 quit right around first candling down to 8. Day 19 1 hatched. Today day 21 two more hatch. Still hopefull for the other 5. I feel like an April fool myself i now how to hatch been doin it for 15 years.But I sure messed this one up!!!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    [​IMG] for you - But hey at least you got more than 1! [​IMG] The time I had one chick hatch. . . Poor thing didn't have any buddies for a week, and was seriously spoiled and pampered to the point that it probably thought it was human. [​IMG]

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I'm having my worst hatch at the moment too, but it's my first time hatching shipped eggs so I suppose it's to be expected. They were beautifully packed, but one can only do so much that way. The rest is up to the Post Office.

4. dadsdeercamp

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    Quote:well its five days past hatch day no more hatched so i got 3 out of 24. all 3 are doing great and im happy with what i got.

5. apostoliclady

apostoliclady Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Any idea what went wrong?

6. dadsdeercamp

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    Quote:USPS thats what i think. the low temp was 98.6 the high was 101 .2 turned by hand three times a day. i did everything i always do. sometimes bad hatches just happen.

7. apostoliclady

apostoliclady Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Can you read the posting I just put up and give me some in site on what could have gone wrong with mine?

8. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    After a year of steady results, I got two flopped batches. I worried so much about what it could be, that
    I have started putting a few of my own eggs in with any shipped eggs that I set.

Results: My own eggs = 100% hatch everytime. Even when the shipped eggs are at 10-15%.

Rough USPS handling can be a pain in the #$%^. Especially when we pay so much for those eggs!

9. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Mine isn't going so well either... Started with 6, 2 were clear, one was an early quitter. Went into lockdown with 3 - one ADORABLE blue sexlink hatched yesterday morning. I'm on day 22 with the other two and nothing... Not rocking or anything. I'm still holding out hope that I'll have a late hatch but I've pretty much decided that I'm stopping off at the feed store to pick up a buddy for my lonely chick after work today... I just feel so bad for her with all that sad peeping going on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by