My Worst Nightmare...a limping chicken!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by txajackson, Jun 23, 2011.

1. txajackson

txajackson Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    So I have read all the threads on here about Mareks disease. I have only been keeping chickens for about a year and I live in the city. I have four 1year old hens and 10 babies that are 11 weeks old. I hatched all of them myself. Since I have such a small flock I did not vaccinate them. And low and behold this morning I went outside to let the chickens out to free range and I saw one of the babys limping!!! I watched for a few more minutes and he was definitley limping so I brought him inside. I contacted the vets office but have not received a call back. I will keep him quarantined. I am so scared my whole flock may have it. I did not realize till I read it on here that a wild bird could bring Mareks into the yard. Help! What do I do next? I have crowing roosters I need to rehome. I am so sad. [​IMG]

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    The little one may have simply gotten an injury and need time to heal. Keep him safely in an area where he can't jump up onto or down off of anything at this time (could worsen an injury) - if it helps him, let him have a little buddy for company. If there's something contagious, they've all been exposed already so I personally don't think quarantining would make a difference.

JJ

3. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Try not to panic! [​IMG]

It's not necessarily Mareks! There are a ton of other reasons a chicken can limp - young birds in particular seem to be really prone to leg and hip sprains. Check his leg and foot for any visible marks or swelling, although its often not possible to see - so don't rule it out if you can't!
    Take a deep breath and then use the search box (top right) and look for 'chick limping'. Read some of the threads that weren't about Mareks to keep yourself calm until you can see your vet [​IMG]

are there any other symptoms that make you think Mareks?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. txajackson

May 31, 2011
    No... There are no other signs. He hasnt eaten too much today. But I feel like it could be from being inside. He actually keeps crowing. [​IMG] I have looked at his legs but there is nothing visible. I dont want to overreact. But I just dont know what I should do. Should I just keep him by himself for a few days?

5. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Yes, I'd isolate him until you're sure what's happening. Putting him in a smaller space should mean he rests his leg more, and doesn't have so far to go to the food and water too, so if it is a leg injury that will help.
    If he develops any new symptoms, come back and post about them and people will help you figure out what's happening.
    If he doesn't get any worse, let him rest. Leg injuries can take a little while to heal [​IMG]

6. txajackson

May 31, 2011
    Well my limping boy seems to be the same. He does lift his leg when standing. When he walks it almost seems like his leg is too heavy to lift. He is eating and drinking and pooing normal. I just dont know what to think. Vet surprisingly did not call back yesterday so I put a call in this morning again. Just waiting...
    I have read on here that people send their chickens off to be tested for 100% diagnosis. I am in texas. Does anyone know where to send them?

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Injuries do take awhile to heal. Hopefully that's all it is......
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by