My Wyandotte fooled me! (... and other breeds)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by desau, Sep 11, 2010.

1. desau

desau New Egg

Sep 11, 2010
    Newbie here.

I've got 7 bantams.

There are two age batches here: The Wyandotte and Japanese bantams are around 17 weeks old.

The silkies and polish bantams are around 12 weeks old.

I thought that they were all hens because I'd already culled out two roosters that started crowing around 10 weeks (from the first 17 week-old batch).

However, just about 3 days ago, the "big momma" (Wyandotte) decided to push out some lovely green curved tail feathers. Doing some quick googling revealed that "she" is probably actually a "he".

So .. abashed, here I am.

Any advice on how many others here are also roosters (assuming the Wyandotte) is actually a rooster?

Also - I'm not positive about the breeds (well .. I am about the polish and silkies .. hard to screw that up). But the two older ones -- I believe are Silver Laced Wyandotte and the white one is I believe a Japanese bantam.

1 17 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte bantam, probably rooster
    1 17 week old Japanese bantam, presumed hen
    3 12 week old Silkies (black, white and red), presumed all hens
    2 12 week old Polish bantams, presumed both hens

Wyandotte with Japanese in background:

Wyandotte tail shot:

Wyandotte head shot:

Wyandotte overhead shot:

Japanese bantam head shot:

Japanese bantam body shot:

Japanese bantam overhead shot:

White Silkie body shot:

Another white silkie body shot:

Black silkie body shot:

Black silkie body / head shot:

Red Silkie:

Red Silkie:

Polish 1:

Polish 2:

Polish 3:

Polish 4:

Polish 5:

Polish 6:

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I can't tell the two polish apart .. I think they're probably both the same sex since they look (to my untrained eyes) so similar.

I've got a number of other shots in much higher resolution - I can post URL's to those if desired.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    The wyandotte is def a roo. The skinny pointy feathers always give it away. Very pretty birds.
  3. SilverChickie

SilverChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    Wyandotte is a roo; curved tail feathers and saddle feathers give it away.

Can't help with the Jap. or the silkies, but the Polish are both girls. Very pretty birds! Wish I had some Polish.
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    #1 (wyandotte) is definitely a roo
    #2 (jap) is definitely a pullet
    #3 (white silkie) looks like a roo because of the crest (or lack of)
    #4 (black silkie) looks like a pullet
    #5 (red <buff> silkie) looks like a roo, again because of the crest (or lack of)
    #6 (polish pic #5) looks like a roo on the left because the crest looks like it is spreading out and it also looks like the tail feathers are getting longer, the one on the right is a girl

ETA: It is very difficult to tell on silkies before they are 5 months old or so. The roosters will get 'streamers' (do a search) on the back of their crests, the hens don't get those. Give the polish a couple more weeks and I guarantee that the one on the left in #5 pic will look more like a roo [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by