1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Wyandotte is confusing me! Pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alexandra33, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Kiliwa is showing the the typical Silver Pencilled Wyandotte pullet coloration, but with a pink comb and pink wattles....at 4 weeks of age. Could someone please give their opinion on my bantam "girl?" Thanks! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ~Alex

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'd guess its a little cockerel, being that pink that young. But, they can fool you sometimes...

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Is there any chance that it's not a Wyandotte, but a Hamburg instead? Silver Penciled Hamburg roosters have the same color/pattern as the hens.

4. Alexandra33

Thank you! Kiliwa nearly has the exact same build and coloration as Lakota, the other SPW pullet, so that's what's throwing me.

The breeder we got these bantams from doesn't have Hamburgs, although that would be nice. [​IMG] Pretty sure these are Wyandottes, since that's what we ordered. None of the other breeds they have would look quite like this, anyway. Do you happen to know if, like Wheatens, Wyandotte cockerels feather in differently than the pullets? I know SPW roos are mainly black and white, so I'm stumped.

~Alex

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Silver Penciled Wyandotte males get a solid black chest.
    Wyandottes can be tricky to sex, though.

6. Alexandra33

I can see that! [​IMG] Well, I guess time will tell with this one.

~Alex

7. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Thats lookin like a roo..

8. Alexandra33

Alright, thank you so much! [​IMG] Since the overwhelming verdict is that I have a cockerel on my hands, I'm going to have to wrap my mind around it. He won't be staying, 'cause I've already got so many other cockerels to choose from.

~Alex

9. Gchickie

Gchickie New Egg

May 2, 2017
    Any update?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by