My Wyndotte hen looks like a hen, but........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by R3ranch, Jul 17, 2010.

1. R3ranch

R3ranch Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    she crowed this morning! Can someone tell me if this 12 week old silver laced wyndotte is a roo or a hen trying to be a roo [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    It looks like a roo, he has the curly shiny tail feathers.

3. PureFluff

PureFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Otis, ORE
    The coloring looks like a hen but the tail looks quite a bit boyish from what I can tell.

I would have said he was a roo, myself.

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:X2 - Looks like my roos....

5. gerrianne

gerrianne New Egg

Jul 4, 2010
    I have a Wyndotte hen and she does not look like that. She is not as lanky as yours.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He is a cockerel who will soon look like a grand rooster. His little boy, teen ager looks will become more masculinized as will his crowing.

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    12 weeks? Looks like a roo to me. Wattles and comb are developed and red. I shouldn't think the hens would be that far advanced at 12 weeks old. JMO

8. ParrotsNPullets

ParrotsNPullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Wow that is 100% roo. We have a SLW pullet & 3 BLRW that are about 12 weeks and they BARELY have any waddles, and their combs are non-existent except for a small pointy bud on two of them.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  9. R3ranch

R3ranch Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    thank you folks for helping me. i will begin my search for a new home for her.....um, i mean him.....

unfortunately, we can't have a rooster in the city.[​IMG]

10. ChickensOnBoard

ChickensOnBoard Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Here are couple of pics of my Silver Laced Wyandotte pullet at 12 and 13 weeks of age, in case it helps. I kept thinking that she was going to turn out to be a rooster, but she eventually was the pullet who laid the very first egg of the entire flock. I'm new to chickens, and I'm sure those who are more experienced have a better eye for spotting roosters than I did. Yours has much more red in the comb and wattles than she did at that same age.

Monica at approximately 12 weeks old. Look for her in the crowd. It's not the best picture, but it may give you something to compare to. In particular, check her tail feathers. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Monica at approximately 13 weeks old

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by