My yard appears to be tick-free now!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NHchicks, Sep 30, 2010.

1. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    We had ticks all OVER this property when we moved in. It's wooded, it's rural, and the dog got ticks even tho I put that nasty stuff on her neck and down her back. Then my husband got Lyme Disease and I said enough is enough. I got guineas, but the neighbor didn't appreciate them coming into his yard (they wander terribly). So I got rid of the guineas and got 4 hens, then a rooster, and now we have 10 chickens in all. I am happy to report now that the dog has not had a tick in months, my daughter doesn't find ticks crawling in the house anymore (she can spot them like a bird - it's weird), no more engorged ticks on my bedroom floor after falling off the dog, and my husband doesn't bring ticks into the bed anymore from the clothes he drapes around after being outdoors. [​IMG]

Yay! I knew the chickens would eat ticks and bugs to some extent, but I had no idea they would actually eliminate our tick problem. I'll bet there were thousands of ticks, if not more.

I love chickens. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Free chicken feed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    That's great news!!! Hmm, now if only my hens can eat fleas, then I'd be in business [​IMG]

4. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    @NCchicken

Much agreed! i wish my chikens ate the flies their poo attracts...... might not ever have to buy them crumbles!

5. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2 so tired of the fleas...poor dog is allergic to them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by