1. SoyBean

SoyBean Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Richmond, Virginia
    I posted before about possible wanting to keep chickens (illegally) in my backyard. I measured the space but I think a picture would serve me better here. This is how much space I have to work with. You can see how much "grass area" I have and how much concrete there is. The fence is roughly 6' high.

[​IMG]

Here is another angle, and in this image you can see the dog crate I was hoping to convert into a coop. Thats gives you an idea of the size. I was planning on building a "box" around it with windows and such and fix it up kind of like the eglu that is available online. Then attach wire fencing to it to make a run.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You could do a small raised hen house in the very corner with an "L" shaped run extended a few feet toward the opening and several more feet down the other wall making a run in both directions from the corner. 3 hens. [​IMG] And I won't tell anyone they are there [​IMG]

3. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
  4. SoyBean

May 12, 2008
    Richmond, Virginia
    I can't remember the size of the yard now, but the area to the left is somewhere around 14-15 feet long and about 2-3 feet wide.

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Check out the small tractors on here. And get yourself some bantams!

6. SoyBean

May 12, 2008
    Richmond, Virginia
    Are Bantams good at egg laying?

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I think they may lay less and the eggs are smaller... but they're quieter, which is good for a chicken 'outlaw'. [​IMG]

8. SoyBean

May 12, 2008
    Richmond, Virginia
    Quiet is definitely a quality I need in a chicken. On a scale of 1-10, (1 being no noise whatsoever and 10 being a non-stop crowing rooster) how would you rate a bantam?

I still need to ok the keeping of chickens with my fiance, and I've got my fingers crossed. My fiance has basically said yes but I want to make sure that everyone is on the same page and my fiance is willing to take care of them in the case I am unable (sick, injured, ect)

9. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    I have three bantams and 11 full size hens but not for long. The bantams keep my wife and I stocked with eggs and we just sell all the full size eggs to friends at work.

10. SoyBean

May 12, 2008
    Richmond, Virginia
    We'd only need enough eggs for two people, and I can always give any extras to my grandmother and mother. (My grandmother eats eggs just about every day.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by