My young americauna just started laying and now broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trufadog, Apr 4, 2018.

1. trufadog

trufadog Chirping

Oct 31, 2017
    Hi All! I need your input please! My Americauna has been hanging out in the nesting box on a fake egg most of today except when I brought them some meal worms. She has been laying for only a week and already laid an egg today, but she is staying in the nesting box sitting on the fake egg. Has she gone broody? Isn't she too young? She is our favorite chicken but don't want her to spend all her time in the nesting box for no reason. I know this is early, but I want to have a plan if she keeps sitting on the fake egg.
    Thank you!Anne and the chicks

2. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    Chicken broodiness can be unpredictable and it is not unheard of for very young chickens to go broody after laying very few eggs. Coming and going to the nest box and spending longer in there are signs of broodiness BUT they are also common behaviour for a newly laying pullet. The key clue with be if she sleeps in the nest box or not - only true broodies will.

trufadog likes this.
  3. trufadog

trufadog Chirping

Oct 31, 2017
    Thank you! In fact, she was laying her first egg. I was wrong about which eggs were hers because she hadn't laid any! She was getting her first egg out! yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: