my young chicken died and I don’t know why

Mar 13, 2021
I am new tonight with the forum. My eyes are bleary from crying after finding my girl dead. She was just a chick in September. I can’t imagine why. My flock of seven have lived in my basement room, turned barn, since I didn’t get the coop and pen done till mid winter. My bad. Any thoughts on why she would have died? I absolutely loved Bianca, a white rode Island. She was about middle of the pecking order. Poor Olive, my smaller Dominic gets it much worse. In all, I have two welsummer’s (the pushiest), two longhorn (kind), and two Dominic’s who aren’t at all bossy. Any thoughts?

I am new tonight with the forum. My eyes are bleary from crying after finding my girl dead. She was just a chick in September. I can’t imagine why. My flock of seven have lived in my basement room, turned barn, since I didn’t get the coop and pen done till mid winter. My bad. Any thoughts on why she would have died? I absolutely loved Bianca, a white rode Island. She was about middle of the pecking order. Poor Olive, my smaller Dominic gets it much worse. In all, I have two welsummer’s (the pushiest), two longhorn (kind), and two Dominic’s who aren’t at all bossy. Any thoughts?
Welcome to BYC.
Do your birds have any natural day light?
Are they laying yet?
Did you examine the body of the poor girl you lost? Check for a stuck egg?

Thanks Tonya, They get light from the window but the only sunlight is when I get them all out in the back sometimes in the day. I believe all but the smallest (who gets picked on the most) may not be yet...her comb isn’t as red as the other dominic. I did look at her and didn’t see anything wrong. I thought it was odd her neck feathers were all up like an unbrella and her legs were full out straight. Maybe that is normal? I don’t know how to check for an egg, but that seems like a reasonable theory. I should count each mornings eggs, but I thought I read they sometimes don’t lay every day. Any idea on how one tries to prevent a stuck egg? One thing I haven’t mentioned is I give them some parrot calming formula in their water. I wrote to the company and they suggested how much to add (I halved the amount to be safer).

Back
Top Bottom