My young chicken died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zookeepermom, Apr 9, 2017.

1. zookeepermom

zookeepermom New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    Acworth, GA
    I have 3 chickens, all just turned one year old. My Buff Orpington has always been the largest, best layer and sweetest girl. This morning I found her dead in her hen house. She didn't have any signs of illness or injury. My other 2 girls look fine. Any ideas what could have happened?

2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Her egg may have been stuck that she was trying to lay. That can happen.

3. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I am sooooooo sorry to hear that.

4. sassysarah123

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    :hit:hit:hit

5. infanman360

infanman360 New Egg

Apr 9, 2017
    Americus GA
    To prevent that I had a buddy tell me to get calcium (crushed oyster shells) when they get into laying

6. sassysarah123

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I agree with Leah567

7. zookeepermom

zookeepermom New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    Acworth, GA
    Thank you for the responses. I do keep crushed oyster shells out for them to get extra calcium, what measures can I take to prevent stuck eggs? I felt around her belly and didn't feel an egg in there, but not sure as I've never experienced this before. Do you know other ways to tell if it's a stuck egg?

8. strangeanimal

strangeanimal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2017
    Belgium
    uhm i don't want to sound ' creepy ' but doing an autopsy is definitely going to tell the reason ...
    If you like you can just do it yourself ( if that is fine for you ) or if you don't want to cut into her you can feel an egg that got stuck by using your fingers into her cloaca , you just need some gloves for that last part and if an egg got stuck you must be able to feel it in just a few inches deep , if you do not feel it , it is not there ...
    I don't know about your country but you could , if you like also call a vet for an autopsy ( always cheaper to do it yourself ofcourse but I have no idea how you look at the idea of ' cutting ' into own beloved animals ofcourse , some eat them , some don't so I hope you will be able to feel it the way I explained it .

I'm very sorry to hear this bad news as well , wish you courage and spoil your two others some extra , they are having pain from this loss too ...
    good luck with the possible cause .
    Kind Regards .

9. strangeanimal

strangeanimal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2017
    Belgium
    what most people forget is not only oyster shell but skeletons for birds ( you know those tropical birds always have a huge shell white colour in their cages ?? ) , that stuff is even better than oystershells !
    You can combine it and I swear you won't see them having any trouble laying anymore , also you notice the difference very fast in your eggs :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by