My young chicken is very sick... please help :( (eyes, belly)

LukasChickens

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2022
Slovakia
Hello everyone! I need help with one of my chickens. Three days ago she started to be very sad, her belly was swollen so we thought that she had "water belly" and also her poop was really weird it was white and much like liquid, it wasn't normal. The next day we got syringe and a 18G needle we took out the liquid from her belly...it wasn't much but it was there. The first thing we noticed was that it was clear like water and on videos with instructions we saw was the liquid always yellowish. We thought that it was going to help but it didn't her belly was smaller but she was still sad. Her body was still looking very bad her wings were mostly open but she had them swinging to the ground she was also very sleepy and didn't want to eat nor drink anything. Her head was close to her body and she didn't move a lot. Yesterday she ate a bit and drank so we thought that she is doing better but we were wrong...Today all of her sympthoms are all worse, she doesn't eat, doesn't drink, doesn't walk, her eyes are clossed... she just stands there.... But her poop looks a better or at least we think but we can be wrong we are not with her all day. And also her eyes were red like I mean her irises and one of her eyes was foamy she litteraly had foam coming out of her eye. We tried to give her food right next to her mouth but she refussed to eat anything same thing with water. We also tried to google about it but we only found an ilness called Mycoplasma gallisepticum but we don't think she has that, she has foamy eyes but she is not coughing or sneezing she also had something coming out her nose and mouth... Please help us she is very young only one year old and we have her from when she was still an egg...she sometimes jumps on my back whenever I'm on my knees. We thought of giving her colloidal silver too... We really don't want to put her down :( ...Please if any of u knows what it could be please help us. Thank you for reading this message. Bye bye everyone.

When you drain the belly and get clear colorless fluid, that is from a chicken having a cystic right oviduct, not ascites (water belly.) Female chickens are born with a right and left oviduct, but the right oviduct normally shrivels and is not functional. If a chicken is exposed to a respiratory virus, infectious bronchitis, that can cause the right oviduct to become full of clear fluid. Infectious bronchitis and mycoplasma are very common diseases in backyard chickens and wild birds. The symptoms don’t always show up or affect them, but they may be exposed.

The foamy eye can be a symptom of mycoplasma (MG.) Sometimes there may be no other symptoms, and it can come and go. Testing is the only way to confirm it. Have you ever seen any of your chickens sneezing frequently in the past? That is the most common symptom of infectious bronchitis, but can also cause congestion.

Infectious bronchitis virus can be the root of many reproductive disorders or kidney problems if the chicken is exposed early in life while developing.

I would try to keep offering her water, some Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml orally and offer foods to tempt her to eat. Water added to a small amount of chicken feed, scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food are foods that I would offer in small amounts. Let us know how she is later.

Sometimes MG flares up because of something else going on. For my chickens worms, mites, cocci all are likely with a MG case (although usually more pronounced in younger ones under a year). MG appears with minor symptoms and progressively gets worse if the other thing isnt treated.

As far as treatment goes, MG requires antibiotics (or will pass on its own after a long time). But it would also be beneficial to treat for worms and cocci at least a day before starting an antibiotic. MG is not fatal, thats why it should be treated after illiminating the potential fatal worms and potentially damaging cocci.

When you drain the belly and get clear colorless fluid, that is from a chicken having a cystic right oviduct, not ascites (water belly.) Female chickens are born with a right and left oviduct, but the right oviduct normally shrivels and is not functional. If a chicken is exposed to a respiratory virus, infectious bronchitis, that can cause the right oviduct to become full of clear fluid. Infectious bronchitis and mycoplasma are very common diseases in backyard chickens and wild birds. The symptoms don’t always show up or affect them, but they may be exposed.

The foamy eye can be a symptom of mycoplasma (MG.) Sometimes there may be no other symptoms, and it can come and go. Testing is the only way to confirm it. Have you ever seen any of your chickens sneezing frequently in the past? That is the most common symptom of infectious bronchitis, but can also cause congestion.

Infectious bronchitis virus can be the root of many reproductive disorders or kidney problems if the chicken is exposed early in life while developing.

I would try to keep offering her water, some Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml orally and offer foods to tempt her to eat. Water added to a small amount of chicken feed, scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food are foods that I would offer in small amounts. Let us know how she is later.
Thank you so much! This helped us a lot, we are going to try to give her some food and water. We learned something we never knew. We'll let you know how she is doing. We were loosing hope but you helped us a lot we are very thankful! :) Thank u so much again! (sorry if I somehow responded wrongly I am new in BYC)

Sometimes MG flares up because of something else going on. For my chickens worms, mites, cocci all are likely with a MG case (although usually more pronounced in younger ones under a year). MG appears with minor symptoms and progressively gets worse if the other thing isnt treated.

As far as treatment goes, MG requires antibiotics (or will pass on its own after a long time). But it would also be beneficial to treat for worms and cocci at least a day before starting an antibiotic. MG is not fatal, thats why it should be treated after illiminating the potential fatal worms and potentially damaging cocci.
Thank you so much for this info! This helped us a lot. We were scared that she is going to die because of MG...Thank you again!

How is your chickens weight? I lose chickens to chronic MG but its most likely due to long term effect of untreated cocci. Their weight gets down to skin and bones skinny.
She used to have normal weight but now she is very skinny. We tried to give her food but she refused to eat. She looks really bad. And with other chickens, some of them are a bit chunky but not that much, but most of them have normal weight.

Back
Top Bottom