My young daughter fed raw eggs to our chickens, are we doomed to have egg eaters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wholerawmomma, Jul 30, 2013.

1. wholerawmomma

wholerawmomma New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    Hi everyone, we just started getting our first eggs this week and we are soooooo excited! I went out yesterday with our new collecting basket to see how many we got and all of the eggs were gone! After much ado, I come to find out that my four year old daughter fed them all to the chickens. She wouldn't tell me exactly what or how it all happened (ie. if all of the chickens were involved or just some of them, if she broke the eggs or they did, etc.). My question is: Is our flock ruined, are we doomed to have egg eaters?

2. dawnpel

dawnpel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2013
    Sidney, Maine
    I don't believe one incident would ruin them. If I was you I would make sure to check the nest boxes a lot these next few days so you can get the eggs before they try anything. You could also try putting a golf ball or plastic Easter eggs in the nest boxes. That way if they try pecking them it will be boring.

3. chickdove

chickdove Just Hatched

Apr 24, 2017
    Well, honestly I feed my chickens some raw eggs, if you crack one they all go after it, and then you can collect the rest without being bothered, also I'm pretty sure they can't crack them open on their own, either that or mine have never tried, which is unlikely because they really want me to crack it XD. So, even if your flock does start eaten eggs...the worst you might get is being flocked by chickens or being pecked by a more fiesty hen in your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by