My young hens are not laying yet.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farm de Jeffica, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Farm de Jeffica

Farm de Jeffica New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    We have 4 Ameraucana Hens about 7 months old. For about a month, one hen would lay a pick egg every day, but the others none. Then the last four eggs were green, but we are only getting an egg every three days. I still don't thing the other three are laying yet. Also one green egg was only a rubbery shell.

They are raised in a fairly large coupe, and have room to exercise in a run. We give them no artificial light or heat. Nights are around 10f-15f and days about 30f. We live in Western MA.

We feed them Laying Feed, and have water in a heated dog bowl. They also get some fruit once in a while. Apples, Tomatoes, etc…

Can anyone help?

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]Adding extra light might help.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  3. threescompany

threescompany Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2014
    [​IMG] Patience is all I know and spring is coming!! Give them some scratch before bedtime , makes them happy--lol!

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

We are only a month beyond the winter solaces without extra light I doubt you will get many eggs right now, In a month it will be a different story.

5. Farm de Jeffica

Farm de Jeffica New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    I have a heat lamp on a timer in the coupe, but I haven't turned it on. How long would I keep the light on for?

6. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    You just need a regular light 14-16 hours a day.

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

I turn my light on at 4:30 am and off at 9:am. It gives the hens early light yet allows them to have natural sunset for getting up on the roosts. Sunrise is around 7:20 I think here.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's a little late to start supplemental lighting.
    It takes a couple weeks to get it up to the 14 hours without undue stress, and a couple more weeks for it to have an effect.

They are just starting to lay and there will be glitches for the first month or so....I doubt the green egg came from the bird who laid pink.
    The naturally lengthening days now occuring should have everyone gearing up to lay regularly soon.

9. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Our SS Hamburgs, who laid like clockwork until they started molting, are just now getting back into the swing of things after a couple of months off. I get one or two eggs a day from the 8 of them and only one of the 27 pullets we have is laying right now. I'd say be patient and they will start laying soon. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  10. Farm de Jeffica

Farm de Jeffica New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    Very helpful. Thank you everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by