My young polish is being bullied. help!

XxMingirlxX

Songster
9 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Lancashire, England
Hi, I have recently introduced my young chickens to the exbatteries and my older polish hen Sophie. Since then Sophie has been attacking little Torchic (the young new polish) I have tried separating them but when ever they are back together Sophie will just go for her to the point where Torchic just hides under the coop. The other young hens I introduced are different breeds so are a lot bigger that Torchic and can hold there own. The exbatteries are fine with the others, it's only Sophie who's the problem.

Sorry this has been a bit rambley but I need suggestions to stop this happening apart from separation. Thanks guys

Millie :jumpy :cd :barnie

Last edited:
images

Polish are frequently bullied because of their top hats and small size. I would take Sophie and separate her for a couple of weeks. This will allow this new bird to get adjusted to the new flock and possibly change the pecking order enough that when Sophie comes back in, she is not as aggressive. This is usually the method taken for aggressive birds. But sometimes birds that are aggressive never stop and there would need to be some permanent changes in the flock by either rehoming the aggressor or sending them to the stew pot.

Always deal with the aggressor. They are the ones causing the problem, not the shier birds. So if you have to, remove the more aggressive bird.

Good luck with your birds.

Alright Millie,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you here in the flock
frow.gif

Sound's like you have a hen who want's to put down her dominance
smack.gif

This will all pass in time just do not let it go to a blood bath
pop.gif

It is interesting how a couple of weeks makes a difference
highfive.gif

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 remove Sophie for awhile to knock her down in the pecking order. You might also try pinless peepers or bumper bits for the aggressive hens for awhile. Giving them lots of entertaining things to do to get her attention off of the polish might be worth a try throw them a bale of hay in the run etc. But like TwoCrows said, birds like polish and silkies can be a problem in a mixed flock, and I would be prepared to have to separate them permanently.

Hi, I have recently introduced my young chickens to the exbatteries and my older polish hen Sophie. Since then Sophie has been attacking little Torchic (the young new polish) I have tried separating them but when ever they are back together Sophie will just go for her to the point where Torchic just hides under the coop. The other young hens I introduced are different breeds so are a lot bigger that Torchic and can hold there own. The exbatteries are fine with the others, it's only Sophie who's the problem.

Sorry this has been a bit rambley but I need suggestions to stop this happening apart from separation. Thanks guys

Millie
jumpy.gif
D.gif
barnie.gif
Polish can be that way sometimes They are great chickens I love them, I raise Bantam Polish but sometimes the older Polish hens can be bullies. Hope it all works out.

And Welcome to BYC from Southern California!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom