My young rooster is being bullied by the hens...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DaveMcLaren, Mar 20, 2013.

1. DaveMcLaren

DaveMcLaren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I recently introduced a 6mo old rooster to my flock, replacing my former 1yr old. All but one of my hens are 1yr, and they pick on him constantly (despite his overwhelming size advantage). I'm wondering if he will eventually realize his place in the flock, or if I should remove him for a while and reintroduce him after a few weeks. What do you think?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Thus the term, Hen Pecked.

Completely natural. He'll likely survive if he's bigger than they are. It isn't a confidence builder, but sooner or later, he'll likely come out on top. Pun intended. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. DaveMcLaren

DaveMcLaren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    LOL! Glad to hear it.

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    They'll get it all figured out. I have a small cockerel that has just started trying to be a rooster, and when he tries to mount the hens they get uhhh a little upset with him..they are all bigger than he is too so that doesn't work to his advantage. Sometimes he'll puff up and come over to a hen and the hen will puff her neck out and they will do that cobra, movement mirror thing. It's pretty funny. We're going to eat him though soon so it doesn't matter too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by