my young rooster just killed my old rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by acoya, Jun 25, 2011.

1. acoya

acoya New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    Hi,

this is my first post here, I am wondering if this is at all common. I have a free range flock of Chantecler chickens, about 10 or so hens and 1 (up until about 30 mins ago it was 2) roos. The alpha rooster was just under 2 years old, the hens between 1 and 2 years old, the young roo is 1 year old and the son of the old roo.

They live in a fairly large 10X10 coop with total free range access to acres of land during the day and a large barn, they only go into the coop at night. Up until now there had been no signs of any disturbance. They all got along, the dominant roo mated well, kept the hens in line, and in general was a very good roo though a tad aggressive toward people. The younger rooster was a tiny bit lame and had a little limp and showed no aggressive tendencies toward people at all and never seemed to have any dominant tendencies. About 30 minutes ago my wife called me and said the roosters were fighting in the field, this is the first time that ive ever seen them fight. I walked down without much concern to see what was causing the issue since this was the first time. Well, when i got down the one young rooster was jumping on the other one who was lifeless in the grass.

So, is this something that other people have experienced? Was this just a freaky shot with a spur? Its not like the fight could have lasted more than 1 minute Ive been around chickens for a while and never seen roosters fight where death seemed possible especially once dominance was established, and Chanteclers are not a very aggressive breed at all.

Joe

2. Dipsey2209

Dipsey2209 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    I would say maybe your young one sensed something wrong with your older guy,possibly the dominant male wasnt feeling well and wasn't showing outward signs of it to humans and the young one took advantage of the situation...it does happen chickens love to pick on the waeker ones in the flock

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    This has happened to me before. A broody had hatched out 4 roosters (and, naturally, no hens), and my dad had sent 3 of them to freezer camp. I told him to leave the one because I thought he was pretty, and I really wish I'd just went ahead and let him kill the thing, hindsight and all that. He seemed to get along fine with his daddy rooster, but eventually he jumped on the older rooster (who was a lot bigger than him, too) and ended up killing him. I'm not even sure exactly how he did it; he didn't even have any spurs at the time. At any rate, since he was the only rooster left, he became our flock rooster. He was flock leader for probably a little over a year, and then he got killed by a neighbor's dog.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If it was very hot, then larger older roosters much more prone to heat stress. Death could then be do to heat exhaustion rather than physical damage. My games when the get into fights in barnyard can go at it for hours when tempertures low but have a hard time going 10 mintues when temperatures very high.

5. acoya

acoya New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    It wasn't at all hot, its in the low 70s in upstate NY. The fight couldn't have lasted more than 30 seconds, which is why I am wondering if the young one just got a super lucky shot in or the old one was really ill. The old one had seemed slightly under the weather, but he was molting so i hadnt given it much concern. I just cleaned him and my wife is plucking him. His gizzard was immense, I mean small softball size, but everything inside seemed in healthy condition.

So, my big questions are, do i have a killer rooster now?? i have almost 20 chicks i hatched out, i was planning on introducing them when they got big enough to not get totally picked on. Should i consider killing the other rooster and letting one of the young ones develop into the alpha?

joe

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sounds like a typical Klingon Promotion!

7. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I have no answers to offer as I am way too new to this and have no roosters, but wanted to say I am sorry it happened. A loss is a loss, and I am truly sorry for yours.

8. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Wow, softball size gizzard?! [​IMG] Wow, I haven't found anything larger than an egg inside my chickens. That is amazing! Perhaps something was wrong with the old fella and, like the above posters mentioned, the younger took advantage of the situation. So sorry for your loss and [​IMG]

9. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:HA!

I've had the old rooster kill a young one, but never the other way around. Nature can be brutal. Circle of life and so on.

-S

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Something was wrong with the old boy. Young bird either just delivered coupe de gra or was simply there to give his 2 cents worth as old bird passed.

Do not be concerned about younger bird being a serial killer. I have games and behavior you observed has little or nothing to do with how same bird will treat balance of flock.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by