Popping like kettle corn...
9 Years
Jan 5, 2011
Hickory Flat, MS
1) What type of bird , age and weight. silkie, not very old
2) What is the behavior, exactly.loss of appetite, then death
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?2 birds now
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?This makes number 2
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.not that I can tell
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.nothing really
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.water and chicken feed, no scratch
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?none
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?self
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.none
12) Describe the housing/bedding in useopen fence with roof and small enclosure for sleeping in
hit.gif

Here is a pic of the younger of the two that died...
75433_silkie.jpg

Last edited:
How old is "not very old," as close as you can guess? Are they outside or inside? Do they have any heat?

do you think it could be worms? I have a white silkie that was not thriving so I put ivomec pour on on her and she is now a lot perkier and seems to be eating much better. It has been a week or so and she looks like she has even gained weight. Good luck with them. I know it is very stressful.
sharon

ETA: Also, did you check for mites/lice? They can kill them too.

Last edited:
I have searched for mites/lice and they appear to be clean... As for worms, I haven't seen a wormy type stool anywhere around their pen...
hu.gif

Last edited:
No, they shouldn't need heat at that age, even Silkies; I've read varying things about whether they tolerate cold as well as large fowl. I don't think that's the problem, anyway. What about cocci? How long have they been on the ground? Do you have other chickens? Ever had a problem with cocci? Are they on medicated or unmedicated feed? Have you seen any red or bloody poops at all?

Chickens can be infested with worms without your being able to see them in the poop, but that's pretty young for there to be enough worms to cause death. For future reference, find a vet who will do a fecal smear for a decent price, maybe $20; it's really the only way to be sure.

Right now if I were you I'd try Corid for cocci, I believe. Do they sort of hunch up like they're cold?

Back
Top Bottom