My Youngest hen is being bullied?

AllMightyPotato

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
I am the owner of 4 hens, and my youngest one, an Araucana, is sometimes bullied. When I bring out treats for them, they sometimes compete over their snacks. I try to spread out the treats, so that they have to run to different places to eat them. This doesn't always work out, as my youngest hens love to eat together, and the older two assume that wherever the most chickens are is where the best food is. Every now and then, my youngest has her comb pecked at by one of the oldest. Sometimes it is done so often that her comb bleeds. It has gotten to the point where she drags her food to the back of the coop to eat it alone or relies on the other youngest to bring scraps of food to her. How can I protect her or make the oldest quit this habit?

Leave them and let them figure it out on their own for now. Maybe try giving them more food so there is no competition, mine get free choice layer. If it gets worse, put her in a large dog kennel in their coop so they can be with each other but not hurt her too much.

It has gotten to the point where she drags her food to the back of the coop to eat it alone or relies on the other youngest to bring scraps of food to her. How can I protect her or make the oldest quit this habit?
That is interesting!
So what are the ages of the all birds(in months)?....
..... and how long have they all lived together?

How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

What is their regular feed and is it always available every hour they are awake?
What are the treats you are giving?

Back
Top Bottom