My ZIP looks like a crack.....is it ok? **UPDATE PICS ON PG 2

momreda

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Cumberland Furnace, TN
Somtime through the night one of eggs decided to finally hatch ( I hope), the egg is moving up and down side to side but there is no zip, just looks like a cracked egg almost all the way around (has progressed since I got up)! Is it ok that it is just a crack or is there a reason the chick wouldn't be using it's beak?

Last edited:

tnchickenut

It's all about the Dels!
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Englewood, TN
Yeah... sounds like you are fine. Just wait. Sometimes it takes 24+ hours for them to get out.... they take alot of breaks in there too!

One Acre Wonder Farm

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Vermont
Where is the zip? Is it going around the large end of the egg? While the chick is zipping they rest abit, zip, stretch, zip stretch... Could be while stretching he has "cracked" the egg along the zip line?

Bird Collector

Songster
10 Years
Aug 13, 2009
North Carolina
Okay I need to know about zip and pips.
idunno.gif
I have gandered a general idea but you guys I'm sure can set me straight. Thanks!!!!

momreda

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Cumberland Furnace, TN
Quote:
A pip is when the chick first pokes it beak through the egg to start the hatching process. A zip looks like a bunch of little pips all the way around the egg so that the chick can open it up.

tnchickenut

It's all about the Dels!
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Englewood, TN
I had one a hour ago zip from bottom to top... and now another one from top to bottom... vertically.

It will be fine. Leave the lid shut and wait. Messing with it and opening up the lid all the time will do way more harm than good. Have you ever seen a chick stick in it's shell? It isn't pretty. Don't open the lid and lose that humidity!

Top Bottom