Mycoplasma found in one of the necropsied birds UPDATE :)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickiebaby8, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    UPDATED I am going to be talking to the state vet (AWESOME INFO) in the morning but I have a question, I have two little birds who never shared bedding, food or housing with any of the adult birds. I am prepared to lose my entire flock but was wondering if these birds, who aren't even in the same yard as the exposed ones can be saved. The Dr said that I have given them the treatment for MG already and vaccinated the birds for ILT and time will tell. It should work out fine. They are doing very well. We don't show birds, we don't know anyone else with chickens, and we don't go to feed stores in our chicken shoes or stores. Plus, after a while my birds will no longer be carriers and they offered to come test them for free.

They are doing so well after the vaccine for ILT. They seem so happy. [​IMG]

I am going to get them tested if I can. NEXT WEEK but they should be fine. I am closing my flock.

I am FURIOUS at the people who sold them to us and I am reporting them if I can [​IMG] <---The authorities are already on the trail of the "auctions" and trying to shut them down. YAY

Thank you all for your invaluable help. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    If you didnt touch your infected birds then go feed your adult birds. Your adult birds may be safe. Make sure you shower and change clothes before feeding or caring for your adult birds. Expecially if you just feed and cleaned the sick birds cage. YOu may be safe. But I would keep a close eye on your adult birds and if any show any signes.. Get them tested. Or better yet, get them all tested just to be sure. Then go from there.

3. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Truthfully of you were to test or vaccinate for everything that a chicken can get you would not be able to afford to have chickens. On the tests that have to have blood drawn it must be done by a vet And the cost of testing varies from state to state too. Here in Ok. I can have a bird necropsied by the State for free as you did. Now a routine test for MG is $15.00 so if you have 100 birds that would be $1500.00 and that is just one test.

There are starting to be some certified MG free flocks in the commercial operations but they usually have both an in house lab. and a vet on staff.

4. Chickiebaby8

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    I only have about 10 birds.

They seem fine.

I am going to ask tomorrow how much it costs to test. We don't sell chickens or anything. I just don't want my poor husband to have to kill our birds. We love them. He is in tears right now. I just told him that the Dr. left a message and that we might be told to cull our flock.

5. Chickiebaby8

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:I will do that. The little ones are not handled much since the ILT scare. I will update when I speak to the State Vet.

6. Chickiebaby8

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:They are going to be tested for free but they have already received the treatment for MG and ILT vaccine. But they are going to test for everything.

7. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a similar experience to yours except I bought some bantams on Craiglist, and noticed the sound of coughing on the way home The barn lighting was poor when I picked them up. I ended up culling the sickest one, and putting the other two in their own boxes, but the damage had been done. And the worst thing is that the fella saved these ones for me before taking the rest of his birds to the auction. How could you NOT notice a nasty cough and wheeze in your chickens? The state let me bring the other two in for free euthanasia and necropsy, I was heartbroken, but I didn't want to expose my whole flock to them. Of the remaining two, one had Mycoplasmic Gallisepticum and the other who was beautiful and looked completely healthy had Mycoplasmic Synovium. I was SOOOOO glad I didn't have them anywhere near my flock! So this year I bought the MG Bacterin vaccine and MAN was it expensive! It was like $100 for a bottle that would vaccinate more chickens than I'll ever have. But I did it because I want to show this fall, so almost all my new chicks this year have had the Mareks AND the MG Bacterin vaccine. I was dismayed to read that the MG vaccine doesn't keep them from getting it or being a carrier, it just reduces the chances they'll die from it or have major respiratory symptoms. I love my chickens!

8. Chickiebaby8

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:I am so sorry you had that experience. (((hugs)))

How are they all doing now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by