Mycoplasma gallisepticum advice

TheMightyRooster

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2021
Hi guys. I believe my flock is infected with M. Gallisepticum. They are chicks around 4 months old and are constantly sneezing, have bubbles in their eyes, nasal discharge and quite lethargic. This has been going on for around 5 days now and was doing some research and believe it may be that. I read tylosin is used in the USA but I’m from the UK and if anyone could advice how I can get some or how I can treat them that would be appreciated.

Hi guys. I believe my flock is infected with M. Gallisepticum. They are chicks around 4 months old and are constantly sneezing, have bubbles in their eyes, nasal discharge and quite lethargic. This has been going on for around 5 days now and was doing some research and believe it may be that. I read tylosin is used in the USA but I’m from the UK and if anyone could advice how I can get some or how I can treat them that would be appreciated.
Hi, I'm in germany and lost a rooster this spring to mycoplasma...it was confirmed by a culture taken right after he passed. The vet said I had waited too long to have him seen.

Based on looking at videos I had taken of him the morning before he passed, she said he was gasping for air. My son said he was coughing and sneezing on and off for weeks. I saw him shaking his head a few times, apparently to shake the mucous loose to breathe. I had looked in his beak right before getting into the car to go to the vet, and it was full of yellow mucous and goo. The rooster didnt make the car ride..it was very tragic. He died in my son's arms.

The vet had us treat the whole flock for 5 weeks with tylosuscit. She also said that once mycoplasma in the flock, it's there to stay forever...but young animals are mainly susceptiple to being overcome by it. Our ducks seemed immune. Now we check beaks and weight regularly..even without any coughing and sneezing. If someone has mucous, we do a round of meds. Hope this helps, and I hope your flock isnt infected.....please act fast with sneezing. It can be a sign of gasping for air, like suffocating!!!

Sorry about your chicks. How many chickens do you have? Tylosin may be available in the UK through a vet. Some other common antibiotics to use against MG would be Denagard, Oxytetracycline, Doxycycline, or Baytril. Those would need a prescription in the UK, but you might be able to get Denagard for pigs in feed stores.

MG is a lifelong disease. Symptoms may go away with or without antibiotics, and can come back during periods of stress. It can be transmitted through hatching eggs and to any chickens or other poultry through contact. Here is some reading:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/def... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Back
Top Bottom