1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG, CRD) Scare! I need Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LotsA Cluckin, Aug 19, 2014.

1. LotsA Cluckin

LotsA Cluckin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    Walling, TN
    In the last few days I have gotten messages from several friends that have had to cull every bird in their flock due to Mycoplasma Gallisepticum and one of those friends is fairly certain that the cause of the disease on her farm is from this well known breeder and it just so happens that I bought eggs from that very well known and loved breeder, those chicks hatched June 21st and they have not been sick at all so far. They have been in the coops with my older birds for 5 weeks and no symptoms have shown up.

So I am wondering if I am in the clear? Since the possible Mycoplasma Gallisepticum carriers have been with my other birds for 5 weeks and no one is showing symptoms I think I am ok but what do you all think?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Just curious, have your friends had confirmed testing by the state or a lab verifying it's MG?
    As you know, MG can be transmitted through eggs. Don't get your hopes up just yet because stress can bring out the symptoms at a later time...days or months. Perhaps you can get some bloodwork drawn and tested. Contact your local extension off to find out how to go about it.
    Here's info about MG from the Merck Vet Manual for you to read:
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...lasma_gallisepticum_infection_in_poultry.html

3. LotsA Cluckin

Jul 26, 2014
    Walling, TN
    Yes the state tested their birds and came out and culled all 243 of their birds.

Thank you! I will be getting them tested either way!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I hope the tests are negative for your birds. Once you get the all clear, ensure you practice and maintain strict biosecurity. Keep in mind that most poultry respiratory diseases including MG can be carried on your clothing, hands, shoes, etc...

5. LotsA Cluckin

Jul 26, 2014
    Walling, TN
    I do practice Bio-security. I bought hatching eggs from an NPIP certified breeder that has a very well known name to ensure that I got healthy birds and I quarantined the chicks for a month and they had no symptoms of any illnesses so I put them in with my other birds about about 5 weeks after I put them in with my older birds I got the news that some of my friends whom had also bought from the same breeder after I did now had come down with MG on their farms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by