Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by purplechicken7, Oct 20, 2016.

1. purplechicken7

purplechicken7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2016
    North Carolina
    My Coop
    It's been a week or so since I sent a 4-month-old Brahma pullet that suddenly died, in for a necropsy.

The vet at the dept. of ag called me today and confirmed that she died of kidney issues and an infection: Mycoplasma gallisepticum

So, my flock has been put under quarantine for 45 days and I'm looking for a water soluble antibiotic as we speak (tetracycline).

I have not noticed ANY signs from any of my birds. The only thing I've noticed is the occasional sneeze from just about all 20+ birds in my flock. There's no raspy breathing, swollen eyes, or inflammation whatsoever. I last introduced new chicks to my flock from a local auction about 2-3 months ago that still seem perfectly healthy.

I understand that I have two options: cull or close the flock. Which is best? I wanted to raise and sell chicks but I can't with MG. My 2-year-old would be devastated without her chickens... I'm at a total loss.

I asked if the vet could test all my birds but evidentially that isn't a service offered. So, I know that the surviving birds could be carriers but I was told that after 45 days that it COULD be possible for me to sell/breed again if no other birds show signs of illness.

2. CWP1966

CWP1966 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    I went through the same thing with my first chickens after not owning any for 15 years. I bought some out of state and they ended up sick. I tried all the antibiotics from the feed stores. I can't understand how you can buy Tylan injectible but not the water soluble. I found a generic form from China. I do keep them apart from my others. They are as healthy as ever. You have to have a script here from a vet. I got like $300 worth for $24 from a Chinese site.

3. ravismomma

ravismomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2016
    First off, so sorry. I have a Mycroplasma positive flock.
    I think that unless you have tested, you can't be positive they don't have it. If they are sneezing, I'd assume they do. I'm sorry.
    If your flock has Mycroplasma, antibiotics will not 'cure' the only thing they will do is treat secondary infections.
    MG is bacterial but has no cell wall around the membrane, because of this antibiotics aren't effective.
    There is research around denaguard that seems to point toward better prevention and management of the disease.
    The most important thing to do is supportive care.
    Regarding advice on a positive flock, as I mentioned I have one. I chose to not cull and close because mine are pets. My flock is happy and healthy. We have them on Ropa poultry in water, we alternate once a month with nutradrench supplement, A very balanced feed and we supplement with greens and nutritional treats.
    If and when they show symptoms I does with denaguard.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  4. purplechicken7

May 24, 2016
    North Carolina
    My Coop
    Thanks for your concern. I'm kind of lost on what to do. I was told my flock was issued under "quarantine" and that means no birds or equipment leave or come in but what do I need to do?

5. ravismomma

ravismomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2016
    Here is what I know about Mycroplasma:
    It's more common than you think.
    It's highly contagious and can be passed vertically or horizontally.
    It can travel on shoes etc. ( I've read this, however I would suspect it's more common for infected birds to transmit) it doesn't live long outside of the host.... I've read a few days.
    It can be transmitted by infected wildlife, so wild birds.
    you must have a closed flock, no new birds in no birds out, again highly contagious

That might be what quarantine means, closed flock.
    And practice good biosecurity.

As I mentioned, after reasearching and consulting with a family member who is a vet. I decided to not cull. My girls are pets and are relatively healthy. And I have grown to love them....

I've found that supportive care has worked well. The important thing is not to throw antibiotics at them unnecessarily. That will only help if there is a secondary issue. And could build a resistance.

I've done a lot of reading about denaguard, if you aren't sure that your entire flock has it, you may try dosing to prevent. There are threads on here about that. I think folks dose monthly as a preventative.

I'm trying ropa poultry in their water right now, in my head it will help keep everything at bay as well as provide the nutritional boost that I want them to get.

I wish there was an easy answer, I agonized about what to do as well...

Sending thoughts your way.:hugs

6. rottlady

rottlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    I asked our state NPIP tester about testing for MG and MS as both are add on options (mandatory is P/t and AI)

She told me I COULD pay to add on the MG and MS tests but she does not suggest doing so because around 80-90% of all NH chickens will test positive and wild turkeys carry it too (and they are everywhere). She said IF I tested for it and my birds popped positive that it was a reportable disease and I'd have to close my flock and never sell chicks or eggs or adult or cull them all and start over

So basically in NH it is assumed everyone has it but they don't recommend testing because of this

7. purplechicken7

May 24, 2016
    North Carolina
    My Coop

I'm in NC and I was told that MG is a fairly common disease as well. I'm just so unsure of what to do. I love my birds but I was hoping to breed and sell them not just keep them as pets. However, my 2-year-old loves them so much that I couldn't possibly cull them. I can't even cull them myself nor anyone here in my home. I ordered some tetracycline in hopes to help the birds feel better.

8. purplechicken7

May 24, 2016
    North Carolina
    My Coop
    I thought I was doing the right thing by taking a chicken in for a necropsy— guess not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by