Mycoplasma Gallisepticum or Chronic Respiratory Disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2mnypets, Dec 13, 2007.

1. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I just thought I would share with everyone what has happened to me as of lately. This last week Henry our Spitzhauben cockerel and some of our Salmon Fav's started coughing. I had never heard a chicken cough before, and it really does sound like a goose honking. They also had some nasal drainage and some were shaking their heads. I had some Terramycin on hand and started them on that while I ordered some supplies from Jeffer's. I ordered two more bags of the Terramycin, 2 bottles Tylan 50mg. injection, Kendall Monoject 3ml. luer lock syringes in bulk and 2 boxes of the 20 guage 1 inch needle hubs. Now granted I didn't insert the needle all the way into them. I needed the 20 guage bore due to the thickness of the Tylan.

Here is how we did it with almost 50 chickens. It was most definitely a family affair. I had prepared the needles and drew up the ATB prior to to us going out to the coop. All teens and adults were given 1ml. and the babies were given 0.2ml. My husband put up a temporary fence separating the coop into two sections. He then grabbed a partial piece of gate that we had laying around to block the other section off while we gave the shots. The gate is removed afterwards to allow the chickens to move to either side of the coop. The fencing will stay up for the week we are giving them the shots. We are having to do it once a day for 6 days rather than twice a day for 3 days. There is no way that I could do it by myself during the day.

The kids were on the receiving end of the coop. My husband would grab up a chicken and place them upside down against his upper leg. I would then find the meaty area of the breast on either side of the keel. Since this is supposed to be an IM injection (intermuscular) I inserted the needle past the hole and a little further to ensure good penetration into the breast muscle. My husband would then hand off the chicken to my son. The girls were in charge of making sure all the chickens that were injected stayed on that side. We repeated the process until all the chickens were done. They tolerated it well.

We are also cleaning out the feeders and waterers daily with a bleach mixture. They will also continue on the Terramycin in the waterers until we are done with the shots. Just to be safe, we are going to wait at least 7 days after all ATB therapy is done before eggs are saved again. They say the Terramycin is 5 days before slaughter or egg consumption resumes, and the Tylan is 24 hours, but I want to make sure.

If you find that you have to re-use either the syringes or the needle hubs, here is a way to clean them properly.

1. Clean the external syringe surface with soap, water and a brush.

2. Rinse the inside components of the vaccine syringe, including tubes and connectors with distilled or de-ionized (like the Culigan Water station at most grocery stores etc. where you fill your own) water that is near the boiling point (greater than 180° F). This is accomplished by repeatedly drawing water that is greater than 180° F into the syringe and squirting it out. Three to five rinses should be adequate. Remove as much water from inside the syringe as can be squirted out and let the syringe cool before using. Heat kills modified live vaccine (MLV) products. You should not use a soap or disinfectant on internal components. Soap or disinfectant residues may kill MLV vaccines.

3. . Store the vaccine syringe in a dust free, dry (low humidity) environment. It is best if the newly cleaned vaccine syringe is stored in a new zip-lock bag and placed in the freezer.

4. Vaccine transfer needles should be boiled in water and allowed to cool before using. Transfer needles should be stored in a new zip-lock bag in the freezer.

My mother who lives in another state laughs and says the real reason I went and got my nursing degree, was to learn how to take care of all my animals in an emergency. I just laugh and think to myself that I'm happy that I have the knowledge that I do. I know that I have the capabilities to tackle most emergencies head on whether it be my children or my pets. I just wanted to pass this information along since I learned from a friend. Sometimes the family at BYC is the only way that we can get the knowledge and experience to treat our feathered friends.

2. Wow, great info!

Good luck with the flock!

Lisa

edit: Just saw this:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS044
    "Transmission: MG can be spread to offspring through the egg. Most commercial breeding flocks, however, are MG-free. Introduction of infected replacement birds can introduce the disease to MG-negative flocks. MG can also be spread by using MG-contaminated equipment.

Treatment : Outbreaks of MG can be controlled with the use of antibiotics. Erythromycin, tylosin, spectinomycin, and lincomycin all exhibit anti-mycoplasma activity and have given good results. Administration of most of these antibiotics can be by feed, water or injection. These are effective in reducing clinical disease. However, birds remain carriers for life.

Prevention: Eradication is the best control of mycoplasma disease. The National Poultry Improvement Plan monitors all participating chicken and turkey breeder flocks."

Does that mean that mean the birds can pass MG thru the egg for life?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  3. Hi!
    Are you still certain you have Mycoplasma Gallisepticum / Chronic Respiratory Disease??
    Thanks,
    Lisa

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    So many respiratory illnesses look similar, that you can't really tell what you are dealing with unless you've had bloodwork done. Did bloodwork confirm your diagnosis? MS and MG can also be contracted thru wild birds.

Jody

5. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I'm keeping an eye on this, because WE had it this summer. Most every flock does at some time or another....

6. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Yes, bloodwork confirmed it. Everyone is healthy again. It was a lot of work though. Lots of cleaning not to mention all the shots. Definitely a family affair. Thank goodness I had enough hands to help me.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Thank God everyone is ok...nasty disease but from what I know and read, the CRD is common in about eighty percent of the flock in US but at one point or another, some of us would get full blown CRD without a warning.

Fortunately I have never had CRD nor do I want them....however I have several friends across the state that did lost most of their birds due to CRD.

I wish there is a way to erraciate the disease for good....but as long we still have them in our flock, carriers or not that we know of, preventative is a good measure!

Keep up the good job you did and wish all the luck that your birds will be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by